• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hudson Cycle Company and Calthorpe Motor Company

Shortie

master brummie
Can someone please be so kind as to look up the Hudson Cycle Company and also the Calthorpe Motor Company please and let me know where it was in 1911? I have just found the 1911 census entry for my grandfather, and his brother has done all the listing, and included the names of the companies they worked for, which is a big bonus. Many thanks, Shortie

The 1912 Kellys (which was probably based on info collected mid 1911-early 1912) lists:
Calthorpe (The) Motor Co. Ltd motor manufacturers, Cherry Wood road, Bordesley Green. TA "Chassis;"T N 135 Victoria

There is also under cycle nmanufacturers : Hudson John Alfd.14 Baker st. Spark hill; but nothing called the Hudson Cycle Co
mike

Thanks Mike. All seems a long way from Ruston Street, where they all lived. I was surprised to find the Calthorpe Motor Co in Bordesley Green, with a name like that I thought it might be Ladywood or Edgbaston. Hudson Cycle Co is how it was put on the census, so I am assuming that that is what they called it between themselves, rather than how it was advertised. Many thanks indeed. Shortie

Back