• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HP Tay & Son, Leopold Street, Highgate -Wire

• Thread starter Thread starter Christine Tay
  • Start date Start date
C

Christine Tay

There are entries for this small metal trades business (set up by my great grandfather (HENRY PRYNN TAY, wire tinner/drawer, later BRASS WIRE MANUFACTURER) and his son (HARRY PRYNN TAY) in directories for several years. There is also entry in 1929 phone book with an advertisement at top of the page "Manufacturers of bright drawn, annealed, tinned, copper and galvanized wire in coils and straight lengths, all gauges. Tinned copper wire, steel spring wire and Mild Steel Rounds, etc.".

The business was located at 130 Leopold Street and was apparently sold or taken over by other people sometime in period 1815-1830, anecdotally was taking part or exhibiting in trade fairs into the 50s or 60s.

Would be interested in any information about Leopold Street and its tradespeople, particularly this small family firm. Also any info or photos on the kind of building which originally stood at 130 Leopold. In fact, any info related to this enquiry would be interesting. Thanks, Chris Tay

Hello Christine and welcome

I’m afraid I can’t be of any direct help with your enquiry re H.P.Tay. other than to say there was still a reference to the firm in Kelly’s directory 1946. As far as I can make out the premises were on the East side of the street near the bottom of the hill quite close to Dymoke St. That would be quite close to the shop in this photo of Leopold St from the late 40’s.

The photo shows a good stretch of Leopold St, about a good half of it, but most importantly it is taken in roughly the location that your distant relation had his business. The area was a hive of little workshops and most streets in Highgate had a little workshop of some kind and some of them still exist today. I have to say that I remember Leopold St as being mostly commercial premises
(Photo replaced}
Phil

No41HighgateLeopoldSt1949.jpg
No+41+Highgate+Leopold+St+1949.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back