• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

How can I find occupations prior to 1841 census?

karro

master brummie
I know that my 3Xgreat grand father Richard Burley was a brew retailer in 1839 (from trade directory) & in 1841 from the census. I'm trying to find out what occupation he had before this time. I know that he married Anne Davis at St. Bartholomew's Church Edgbaston in 1823; I found the registration in a book. However, his occupation was not listed in the book. perhaps it was not common to include such information until 1837. How can i find out how he made his living? The Beer House Act was not passed until 1830 so he must have been earning a living some other way. Any suggestions??
Cheers Karro

well i know st. martins lists fathers occ. on baptisms so had a look for you

benjamin born 16th july 1824 son of richard and ann burley christened at st. martins on 2nd aug 1824. abode barford st. occ. caster
john born 2nd aug 1826 son of richard and ann burley christened 7th apr 1828. abode barford st. caster
thomas born 17th nov 1828 son of richard and ann burley christened 2nd feb 1829 . barford st. caster
elizabeth born 18th march 1831 daughter of richard and ann burley christened 27th may 1831 rea st. caster
ann born 4th sept 1833 daughter of richard and ann burley christened 31st mar 1834 cheapside caster
richard born 10th apr 1835 son of richard and ann burley christened 12th june 1835 cheapside caster
william born 31st may 1837 son of richard and ann burley christened 21st jun 1837 cheapside caster
george born 17th nov 1838 son of richard and ann burley christened 30th jan 1839 cheapside caster
emma born 3rd jan 1842 daughter of richard and ann burley christened 14th jul 1843 hurst st. iron founder

hope these are yours as it doesnt mention beer retailer!

It might still be him. At that time it was common for beer retailers to have amother occupation. I think often the wife did most of the work in the pub, but it was his name over the door
Mike

i thought it must be them with the first child being 1824.

the marriage was as you say at edgbaston on 28 july 1823. witnesses were benjamin and maryann burley

Thanks so much everyone. You're amazing!!!! That must be my Richard. I never thought that he would have more than one occupation. That's very enlightening. I was trying to understand how he went from being a beer retailer to an iron founder but he must have been working in a similar trade all along. I'm assuming that a castor has something to do with iron.
The marriage in Edbaston was witnessed by his borther Benjamin and his wife.
Richard Burley was born in Halesowen. He was baptised according to Family Search about July 1800 but I can't find the name of the church.
Sera how did you find the information about the christenings?. There must be a record that I don't know about.
Karro

hello karro, i have the original st. martins records for baptisms, marriages and burials which i purchased from bmsgh. the church in halesowen may have been st. john the baptist, halesowen

i see that richard burleys parents were thomas and elizabeth at his christening 27 jul 1800.

Thanks for the information Shera. I'll look into getting the records.
You're correct Thomas & Elizabeth were the names of Richards parents. Is there any additional information such as Thomas's occupation or address??? I'd appreciate anything that you can share.
Sincerely Karro

no sorry karro, i checked to see if i could find a burial for thomas or elizabeth at st. martins, and found a thomas but its the wrong one i think. this thomas appears to be the husband of a hannah burley. i presume thomas and elizabeth stayed in halesowen and i only have the records for st. martins and a few bits from other churches.

Thanks for all your efforts Shera. You have helped me immensely. Your right it appears that they always lived in the area. I was only able to locate Thomas & Elizabeth on the 1841 census in Rowley Regis. By that time they already retired, ie, Ind.
Cheers Karro

Back