• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

House prices 1960s

Channel4dean

Hi everyone.
My name's Dean and I am researching for an upcoming Channel 4 film about Smethwick in the 1960's. I have a question for any of you with good memories : how much would an average terraced house in Smethwick (or similar area) cost in 1964?

I can't promise you a part in the film but any help would be gratefully received. :)

A terraced house located 'up an alley' (situated in a courtyard) could fetch £800 to £1000 in the early 1960s.

A terraced house located on a road: as in, the front door opens onto a road or street £1000 to £1200 in the same period.

A terrace (town or semi-detached) (era) house with a front garden, upwards of £1500 to £1800 or more in the same period depending on the location.

A semi-detached in a road or street of semi-detached houses and in a good location (not next to a steel smelting plant) £1800 to £2,500 in the same period.

After England won the world cup in 1966, property prices received a boost and with a few notable exceptions (property recessions) that boost has never wavered. Property prices mentioned are the base-lines/minimum values.

I bought my 1st house in 1962 a 30 year old semi with garage and large garden in Erdington (Hillside Rd) for £3,200 plus £200 for the freehold, I sold it 25 years later for £29,000 when I moved to my present house in Chelmsley Wood in 1987

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I’d like to give my two cents. I don't have personal memories from that time, but I did some digging and found that the average cost of a terraced house in Smethwick in 1964 was around £2,500. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate, and prices could vary depending on specific factors.
No apologies needed!

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I’d like to give my two cents. I don't have personal memories from that time, but I did some digging and found that the average cost of a terraced house in Smethwick in 1964 was around £2,500. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate, and prices could vary depending on specific factors. On a related note, if anyone is interested in investing in property abroad, it's always fascinating to explore how prices have changed over the years. It's amazing to see the differences! Wishing you the best of luck with your research and the film.

Last edited:
exactly, Investing in property abroad can indeed be an exciting venture, but it's crucial to do thorough research and understand the local market dynamics. Prices and trends can vary significantly from one place to another. i recently explore shared ownership and try to know about the rules at keaze.com. if anyone has any experience feel free to share

exactly, Investing in property abroad can indeed be an exciting venture, but it's crucial to do thorough research and understand the local market dynamics. Prices and trends can vary significantly from one place to another. i recently explore shared ownership and try to know about the rules at keaze.com. if anyone has any experience feel free to share
Investing any further away than the next town can be frustrating and risky. If you are investing in rental property you better have a great agent and understand the agents % and your cash flow for maintenance and repairs etc. we owned two new condos in VA beach when we were in NJ, about 350 miles away. Our first agent was terrible we had people that did not pay the agent was not aggressive to collect, we still had to pay the mortgage. We got a new agent, we ran to daylight, but it cost some emotional time and money. Another situation we were moving in a bad market, we rented our home, 5,600 sq Ft for $4,600 per month to a builder. I would say 60 % of the checks bounced and were late.
If your investment is not next door, do it through a fund or development group that you know. Be very careful!

Back