• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

House Location in Ladywood

• Thread starter Thread starter Humph3
  • Start date Start date
H

Humph3

Hi,

Can anyone pinpoint the following houses on a Ladywood map for me circa 1900s,

32 Wood Street Ladywood and

25 St. Mark's Street ladywood

Thank you in anticipation

Humph

Humph
no 32 wood st is on the corner of Alston st (in red), and 25 St Marks st is on the north side of the upper part of St marks st. I think it is the red building (about 95%)
mike

map_c_1914_no_25_st_marks_st.jpg

map_c_1914_no_32_wood_st.jpg

Mike,

Thankas very much. It has been bugging me where they were.

Humph

HI HUMP
St Marks street was split into two halfs ts cross the kingedwards rd ladywood
one half which was coming from summerhill-spring hill; and the half was coming from shakespear rd
and also king edwards rd was also split into two halfs
and when requested by any motorist wich half do you want ; we would say big kingedwards rd o ro the big kingedwards rd ; and the same for st marks street big or little
and may i point out to you there was a church in king edwards rd and also in st marks street [ little ] marks;
i lived in the little half of king edwards rd no 243 ;
and i lived opersite the kirby bros ; the older generation ; generation ;and old stan kirby was the
hed barman at the old windmill on dudley rd facing what is now the city hospital
and i have to say he was a great man ;and very pleasant man ; like the rest of the family
i knew them from years ago despite what you hear about them they are a very decent family
best wishes astonion ;;;

Hi Astonian,

Thanks for that info. Are you saying that each half was numbered separately? In other words, were there two No. 25 or did the number run consecutively from one half to the other,
Regards
Humph

They were numbered together Humph. From the north end at summerhill, odd nos one side, even the other, and across king edwards road
mike

Back