• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hotels in 1963 in the Moseley Road

Rosy

proper brummie kid
Hi, has anyone a list of Hotels in the Moseley Road in 1963 please? Ones especially which are still trading.
We are searching for my husband's sister & know she worked in a hotel in the Moseley Road in 1963 before she appears to have vanished.

With thanks Rosy

Hi Rosy,

I knew Moseley Rd well right through the 50's 60's & 70's and I cannot ever remember there being a hotel of any sorts. All I can remember is Mrs Griffin's boarding house next to the library & baths. It was a theatrical boarding house where many up and coming stars stopped while appearing in Birmingham.

The building is still there today, but it is now a Sikh temple. The were of course small hotels & bed & breakfast places on Alcester Rd which is a continuation of Moseley Rd.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thankyou very much for your reply. Sorry I've been out all day!
I didn't think there were any hotels in the Moseley Road when my Social Worker told me this.
Have you any idea please of names of hotels in the Alcester Road which are still there?
Thanks so much for your reply

Best Regards
Rosy

Hi Rosy

The only further help I can give is to tell you of the only two hotel I can remember on Alcester Rd in the 60's. They were the Alcester Lodge Hotel and the Oakfield Hotel and there was another one quite close to the Oakfield but the name escapes me.

They were in reality no more than bed & breakfast places and to be honest I don't know if they remain open today as I haven't been that way for years.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the info about the hotels you can remember in the Alcester Road Phil. I will look in to it to see if by any chance they are still there. It's really a shot in the dark in the quest to find my husband's sister, but anything is worth a try.

My thanks & Best Wishes
Have a nice weekend
Rosy

Back