• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hop-picking

Graham

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I know that Rod once asked for memories of hop-picking days, but that was before I joined this wonderful forum. And not long ago I wrote a piece about my own hop-picking experiences, Rod asked me to include this in the history section. If anyone else has memories of hop-picking I would like to hear and compare them, as this will be a chapter in my autobiography. Here is my full story from circa 1950.

Hop-picking, our summer holidays in 1950

In the 50’s it was quite common for working class Brummie families to go hop-picking, not only to earn a few extra bob but as their main summer holidays in the country. We would get picked up in Sparkbrook by one of the farm hands in an open backed lorry, very open! I often wonder how we managed to stay on the back with the wind clawing at our frail famished bodies and all the bumps in the road threatening to buck us off like a bronco. We were with many, Mum, sisters, Barbara & Margaret, brothers, Ronny and Ted, Auntie Liz, Uncle Fred, Cousin Fred, I, the youngest at 6 years old, and others from unknown back streets of Brum huddled together. Most of us had only got the clothes we stood in and a few brown paper parcels tied with string, containing a few personal items. No one had a suitcase, we were not that rich! I had heard that some hop-pickers were transported to the farms in a “Charabanc” (these days we would call it a motor coach), but in our case that was a luxury we just couldn’t afford!

To us kids this was the thrill of are lives, our first real holiday, where we were being taken to, or what we going to do didn’t matter two brass farthings. For us the lorry had some wonderful new sounds and smells, a mixture of tractor diesel, fresh hops and pig swill, but it beat walking or cycling any day. The journey seemed to take a lifetime and we finally stopped in a very small Worcester village farm yard. This turned out to be Shelsey Walsh, famous (as we found out later) for its hill climb racing track. Shelsey Walsh was the first car racing track in the world and it’s still in use today.

On arrival we would be allocated into a freshly whitewashed barn, to hide the animal skid marks on the walls, with compartments made of cardboard or old army blankets, there was no privacy. We were all given Hessian sacks to sleep on, sacks that had once contained god knows what, but to this day I can still smell it, and a hay stack to fill the sacks with. Sounds like hell in a concentration camp, but the mood was great and we had loads of fun and laughter getting settled in. The toilets were situated outside, composed of a shack placed over a large hole in the ground and a plank to sit on. On one occasion my sister Margaret slipped off the plank into the cesspit below! How on earth she survived that without drowning, or even dying of the stench, was due to the fact that it had only just been emptied. Had she fell in some days later I dread to think what that the consequences would have been for her health and sanity?

In the daytime we had to help Mum, Auntie and Uncle with the picking, the smell of the hops was terrific compared with the city smells of Sparkbrook. We were given cribs made of sticks, poles and Hessian sacking to collect the hops in. If we kids got tired we would crawl into the cribs and have a nap among the hops, joining all the creepy crawlies that fed on the hop plants. I guess that there was no pesticide used; anyway not on the plants, but us kids got dusted down daily with DDT!

At the end of the day the farmer’s help would come round with his tractor to collect the picked hops. He would scoop the cribs empty with a large basket that was equal to one bushel, eight dry gallons. One of the other farm hands would book what we had picked on piece of cardboard and we were paid by the bushel, how much? I don't have a clue. At the end of the day I don’t think that there was much money left over, as most evenings ended with a visit to the pub.

With two young blond sisters we were bound to attract the attention of the local farmer’s sons, and my teenage sister Barbara started going steady with a farmer’s son, Gordon. Now the only form of entertainment that these lads could offer a young girl was a pint of cider and a snog at the local pub. Trouble was the pub was miles away and we had no transport, so the only thing we could do was to walk over the fields to the pub. We walked cross country as it cut off many more miles that we would have had to do along the lanes. One night I can remember we were, as usual, tossed out of the pub at closing time and we made our way back across the fields. It was one of those ink black starless nights when you couldn’t see one inch in front of you. We knew the route by instinct and on reaching the big field we heaved our tired bodies over the farmer’s fence. Now on our way to the pub we had crossed in good moods, but now the mood turned to horror as through the darkness we could hear the thud of heavy hooves on the hard August ground. The field had been clear on our many crossings, but now the farmer’s cows had repossessed our short cut field for the night. It was nearly our short cut to the cemetery! We ran in fear as we were sure that the cows couldn’t see us anymore than we could see them and the thought of being crushed was in all our minds. With our hands stretched out in front of us, hoping to feel the safety of the fields’ edge, we ran for our lives. I stumbled and my mother scooped me up in her arms, as on the ground I was a sitting duck. With no more than a second to spare we reached the edge of the field and with our last drop of adrenaline scaled the fencing with one communal jump. We all tumbled over the perimeter like horses at Beechers Brook in the Grand National, fortunately, that night we managed it without any broken legs, so nobody had to be “put down”. Afterwards we all had a good laugh about it, but it could have so easily ended in a tragedy.

If we saw the chance my cousin and I would sneak off looking for adventure, and that was never too far away. We had often heard the growling of high powered car engines coming from the woods and we just couldn’t resist exploring where the noise was coming from. Although we had been warned to stay away from the wooded hillside, it was said that area was haunted by Lady Lightfoot and there was also a wicked witch living in a magic white house. I even saw this white house that kept on changing position in the woods, one minute here then it would disappear and suddenly appear in another position on the hillside between the trees. Was this the power of, adult, suggestion or was it real, I’ll never know. We were either stupid or fearless, I don’t know which, but the pull of the car sounds, the smell of burnt oil and rubber, was greater than our fear so we ventured on through the thickly wooded area. We even managed to find some fresh provisions along the way, Hazel nuts, Pears and Apples, if they were ripe or not didn’t bother us, they were free grub! The noise we had been hearing was from cars that were training for the world famous Shelsey Walsh hill climb. The oldest motor car racing event in the world, dating from 1905. This was a twisting road with many high embankments climbing out of the Teme valley to some 300 ft, this over a length of about a mile. One day a part of the steep embankments came in very useful as one of the cars got out of control and crashed with an almighty thud just below our feet, frightened the life out of me! I think we must have seen some very legendry cars and drivers of that era, all for free, a schoolboy’s dream!

On one of our walks through the woods towards the hill climb we found ourselves walking on very soft ground, it was like walking on a very thick carpet. We decided to investigate and clawed away at the soft covering. About a foot down we came upon a great treasure, hundreds of unsold hill climb programs had been buried there to get rid of them. They were in perfect condition, the burial must have been recent and none were affected by water or damp soil. For two almost destitute Brummie back street kids this was a treasure indeed, kids that couldn’t even afford a comic book now had some real books to read. I can still imagine the smell of printers ink that rose to meet us out of that buried treasure. We tucked as many as we could under our arms and traipsed off back to camp. What ever happened to our ‘find’ I’ll never know, but if we had them today I bet that they would be worth a few ‘bob’.

My cousin and I were not the only kids in the area, most of the hop-pickers that were scattered over the various farms were composed of families with several kids. The majority were working class folk from inner city back streets, but there were also large gipsy communities with kids that were even shabbier looking than we were! On the evenings that we didn’t have enough money for the pub, we would gather round the oil drum camp fires, and there we heard stories of the kind of treatment we could expect if we were ever captured by these gypsy kids. It was said that they would burn our eyes out with red hot pokers heated up in the cokes fires! I’ll never know if these were more of those stories to keep us from straying too far from our allotted patch outside the barn. It didn’t help much though as we were always wondering off exploring this entirely new and wonderful adventure playground. Sure enough one day it had to happen; we suddenly stood face to face with a bunch of scruffy, Black Country speaking, gypsy heathens. My cousin and I stood there petrified, but we tried not show it and I pretended to be examining some rubbish that the gypsies had piled up in a ditch. I was absently poking away at some old jam jars with a stick, trying not to look these gypsy kids in the eye, when I hit the jackpot. Hundreds of wasps flew up in anger at being disturbed from enjoying their free meal of gypsies home made Blackcurrant Jam. Once again we ran for our lives, not from the gypsies or mad cows this time, but from a hoard of angry wasps. My cousin managed to escape unscathed but I was caught by the angry mob venting their anger with numerous vicious stings to my poor ears. I was never upset by the wasps stings as I always think that they saved us from having our eyes burnt out by the gypsies.

As a very close knit family that were used to hard work we all worked well together and there was never a moan or grumble. We had worked so well that the farmer was happy and that made us happy too. A neighbouring farmer was not so lucky with his hop pickers; they were a lazy lot causing trouble by arguing and fighting, they packed it all in before the end of the hop harvest, returning to Brum under there own steam. This farmer had heard how good we were and managed to do a deal with his neighbour thus getting us working on his hop harvest. At first we were a bit disappointed as we had to move out of our 5 star barn into old Army bell tents. Still we were determined to make the best of it and settled in with the same cheerful mood that we had done earlier in the barn. That night we could hear a terrible storm brewing in the distance. We could see the lightening flashes through the holes in the worn out tent, they looked like fairy lights on a Christmas tree. The crashes that came after the lights were very frightening and got louder and louder. I don’t know if anyone had thought about it or even knew about it, that tent ropes should be slackened off at night, especially when rain threatens. I don’t think that there was anyone brave enough to go out in that weather to perform this important task and the unthinkable happened. The tension on the ropes and on the tent became so great that the single central tent pole just snapped like a matchstick. The whole smelly wet linseed oil soaked tent fabric came down on top of us, dowsing the candles and storm lamps, leaving us in pitch darkness except for the occasional flash of lightening. By this time the wind had got up too and now it had free play under our tent and whisked the whole thing up into the air. Our bell tent had blown away in the middle of the night and we all had to evacuate to a nearby barn, one that was luckily not occupied by cows or pigs. There we cowered on the bare stone floor while, in pitch blackness, mom tried to keep the bats out of our hair. On nights like these we were glad to huddle round the cokes fires made from empty oil barrels punched full of holes to let air in and feed the cokes with oxygen. Sticks of foul smelling sulphur were thrown into the fire; I think to neutralize the harmful gasses that the cokes gave off. If you caught a whiff of it, it nearly knocked you out, like smelling salts but a hundred times stronger. We must have looked a sad sight hunched under our moth eaten army blankets, like some scene from a Nazi concentration camp. We could easily have passed for prisoners of war as not one of us had an ounce of fat to spare.

These fires were not only a comfort on chilly evenings, they also did service for cooking our meals on. Food that we had to buy ourselves from a little mobile shop that visited every day. One of our favourites was baked potatoes, or baked spuds to a Brummie. This was a warm, cheap (we could ‘pinch’ spuds from the neighbouring fields), very filling meal that reminded us of the baked potato man in the Birmingham Bull Ring. If we were very lucky there was even salt and farm butter to make them really appetizing. There was often talk of ‘borrowing’ a piglet and roasting it over the fire, but as this never happened I can only guess that everyone feared the consequences of being caught.

For the hop-picking I had no clothes or shoes that were worthy of that name, and certainly no underpants. My ragged shorts, that were hand-downs from my older brothers, were only held up by string that was normally used to train the hop vines. My mum, a war widow with 5 kids and a pride that was bigger than her family, only accepted help once in her life and that was a pair of army hobnail boots for my bare feet. They were far too big for me and I had no socks to fill them up. I would traipse up and down the hop fields all day and the boots rubbed all the skin off my sock less heels. The inevitable happened, some bug got into my bloodstream and inflamed the back of my leg, and it was like a fire burning in my calf and travelled up my leg into my knee. I imagine that this was the same kind of thing troops had to put up with in the WW I trenches.

At the hop-pick there were always nuns going up and down the fields, trying to convert us "heathens" from our evil ways. I think it was one of these nuns that realized how serious my condition was as I was rushed back to Brum for an emergency operation. There they put me to sleep with laughing gas and cut the back of my leg open and scraped my knee joint clean of infection, I suppose it was something like gangrene. After the operation I was shipped back to Shelsey Walsh as my family were still there hop-picking. The nuns would come round daily to look at my knee. The first time that they renewed my dressing I nearly fainted, they pulled yards of draining wick out of my knee and had to stuff yards back in. For comfort and compensation the nuns would give me what looked like cigarette cards, not with footballers on them, but scenes from the bible and necklaces with a crucifix to protect us.

Due to all the extra work that we had been given to us, the hop-picking went on well into September and my mother got a load of threats from the school board man, threatening to have us kids put away if we didn’t attend school. Luckily my mum took no notice; after all she couldn’t have kept us anyway without the hop-picking money. If she had listened we would never have had such a wonderful holiday, a holiday never to be forgotten for as long as we live. We arrived home in Brum the same way we got there, on the back of an open lorry, but this time we had brought back more than we had taken. The farmer had supplied us with old tea chests and we were allowed to fill them with apples and pears, a supply that would serve us for many weeks, the taste of that fruit reminding us of our 5 star holiday, a holiday and lifelong memories that money can’t buy!

I could go on all day about our hop picking holidays, but will close here as it is getting a bit long to read. I hope that this gives some insight to Brummies on "holiday" in the 50's.

Graham Paul Webb, January, © 2008.

Thank you

That was lovely to read Graham, i was there in the hop fields with you.
.........................Cat:)

Thank you Cat, I'm pleased you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed remembering those days. Not that I live in the past, I'm still having a ball:)

Graham.

Whato Graham,

I enjoyed your story of times gone by it was 'smashin' or should I have said 'bostin' :D
I enjoyed reading your Blog too, I'll have to bookmark it for further entries.

'Keep Pedalling'

Loisand & Langs,

Thanks for reading and the nice comments.

I had my pedals turning again yesterday for the first time in nigh on a year, the spring weather inspired me. And today was even better, I was in beautiful Ghent sitting outside at a sidewalk café, with friends, enjoying a beer and the sun.

My bike.

:( I think I will get myself a bike but nothing will be as good as my very first bike. I was so proud of it and got up on my birthday to find it hidden in the coal shed. Couldn't wait to show it off to my friends even though it was second or even third hand. :) Hope you like it too. Jean. :)

Jean I had one like that but it wasn't my first here's the proof. Happy days!

Hop Picking.

:thumbsdown: Don't talk to me about hops. When my husband was a brewer at Ansells he used to come home smelling of the stuff. Or maybe it was the yeast?. Mind you the end product was OK. TTFN. Jean. :thumbsdown:

Cadeau. Have only just read about your Hop picking days, thats a wonderful story. I hope that your knee healed well and you have no lasting effects from it.

Cadeau. Have only just read about your Hop picking days, thats a wonderful story. I hope that your knee healed well and you have no lasting effects from it.
Ernie, thanks for reading and yes my knee healed perfectly it never gave me any problems; I put that down to all the cycling I did as a kiddie.

Graham.

That's great to hear that you had no long lasting effects from it, My cycling days was on an ASP bike ( All spare parts )
Once a 23 mile trip to Stratford On Avon ( where we went swimming ) and also a 30mile trip to Evesham.
That really did build my legs up, now I am Disabled but that was things that happened later. I did not go Hop picking but potato picking at a farm just through Coleshill along the A47.

Graham,
Enjoyed your description very much.
We went hop picking to Herefordshire in the 1940s,the charabanc left from somewhere near Gosta Green.
It was a real family affair,all my cousins and aunts,no menfolk they were all busy,stopping Hitlers little game.
The family were all overseen by the great matriarch,my granny Beard,she organised her daughters and us little bread snappers, the first job was to fill the bolsters? with straw too sleep on,in the tin huts provided.
Then set up the cooking area,which was an outside affair,I realise now it was an old cowshed,where we had open fires for cooking,and each family would have their alloted space.
I don't recall doing much picking of hops,skiving off, and scrumping apples from the farmers prize orchard,was more fun.
It must have been helping the war effort,any way they could,what a wonderful community spirit they had.

Graham, Top class. I've just read it through to my wife in the kitchen, preparing lunch. Her family were hop-pickers too. Guess where from...The Black Country - I wonder if they were the gypsies, it wouldn't suprise me. You mentioning the Schoolboard man; he used to put fear in to our hearts, the one by us was a man with one eye...I can still picture him now, we called him, Popeye! Thanks for a great tale.

Graham, I enjoyed your tale, and I know there must be many more from those Hop Picking days.
I used spend my holidays, as a child, on a farm in Herefordshire, not to far from Bromyard.
Every year Hop Picking came along. for me it was only a walk to the Hop yards with mother
and some local folk we knew, yes ,they earned a bit of extra money on the Hop Picking too.
Your tale describes the Hop Yard as I remember. The picture is myself, thats the small fellow
leaning on the crib with my mother behind me, with a few local folk.
A few years later I was taken round an automatic Hop Picking machine on a local farm I think
the labour was reduced to about 2 men, from hop yard to picked hops with a handfull of
women to sort out the stray leaves as the picked hops travelled along a conveyor belt.
Yes, Gypsies were employed on those hop yards, and it must have been a blow to them
when their labour was no longer required, and I too was frightened of those gypsies.

Goffy

Graham i'm glad you reposted your memories of hop picking i enjoyed it as much as the first time. My Grand father Cornelius Bunting lived in Cregoe st Edgbaston/Ladywood from about 1920 untill his death in 1953, there is a photo on the Digital Ladywood site(well worth a look at this site) of a chap i cant remember his name,taken in the 40s sitting in a court yard at the rear of 81 Cregoe st behind him is a large door on wich is written eggs ready for sitting 2 shillings, orders being taken for geese, ducks and turkeys for Chrismas. on the otherside was chalked hop pickers wanted. Then written on a large stone sill under the window were a list of surnames. Bunting was among them. I've wonderd if he had put his name down to buy eggs(i think the 2 bob may of put him off) or ordering a bird, or to go hop picking. Most likely it was there because he owed money. Only joking.

Thanks again to you all for reading or re-reading my hop-picking memories and I'm so glad that it brought back so many memories of your own young days. I love reading your own memories and thanks to 'Gofy' for such a lovely photo, may I download it to my computer?

Graham.

Graham,
Glad you liked the pic, yes you may download it.
They were very happy memories for me, my time at the farm in Herefordshire.

Goffy (another Graham)

glad to hear that many of you enjoyed going hop picking !Only went once,in 1940s ,not sure where but were visiting my aunt who was a land girl in village of Eastham nr Tenbury Wells.It was freezing cold and I cried all the time,due to the pain in my fingers.Luckily we were only there for the day!

Great to read these stories, as a kid in the early 60's we used to play in the disused barracks the hop pickers lived in. This was in Eardiston not far from Frith Common by Tenbury Wells.

Hop Picking any memories

Although i am only a young 59 year old , i have fond memories as a child going hop picking with the family.
Any one have any memories to share. Max

Re: Hop Picking any memories

Max, I think we have had a thread on this before, try the Search Engine, or one of our clever friends will find it for you.

You pipped me to the post Ray. Our local pub at Button Bridge decorate the pub with hops each year above the bar. Does anyone know what this would have been done for?. Maybe just te beer connection. Jean.

Graham. Have just read your story, and have shed a tear for the love and fortitude your family showed. How hard it must have been for your mom in those days. I realise how lucky I was, having been born after the war, and also the youngest child. The others were a lot older than me. I used to go to a place called Sinton Green, a tiny village the other side of Worcester. Mostly with the fishing Club from Dad's working mans Club in Brum. We used to go and talk and watch the hop pickers on many a fine day, and then of an evening they used to come up to the Live and Let Live where we were staying, and play table bowls and shove 'appeny. The gaffers wife used to bake her own bread and make blackberry and apple jam. Even now I can see her slicing the bread and lauping the butter and jam onto the bread. I can even taste it. No matter how I have tried, I have never matched the taste. Ah well. Best wishes
Lynda

Re: Hop Picking any memories

Oh thanks Sylvia i will have a look, i was sitting here thinking about my wonderful childhood, and i driffted away to "The Op Country" as we knew it in our house. Max

Once again thanks to all for reading and for your lovely comments. And Lynda just thinking about those days also brings tears to my eyes, not of sorrow but of joy, all the money in the world can't buy wonderful memories like that.

After I had written this piece I posted a copy to my sister Margaret in Brum, the one that fell in the cess pit, she was flabbergasted at how much I could remember and she recons that at the time I hadn't yet reach the age of 6!

Graham.

A wonderful video, thank you Cadeau, brought back memories of my youth. (im 59) Brummies of course went to the OP yards of Hereford and Worcestershire, i used to be placed in the end of the Crib and did my share of pulling the fantastic smelling hops from the vine. If i was lucky and i mostly was i would be given a HOPDOG to play with, which was the biggest caterpillar i ever saw then or now. Max

Thanks Graham for that. They still hop pick on the Teme where Pete fishes but he is trying to remember the farm. It is something Court. I love it when they dress the bars with the hops that is an art in itself. Jean. Pete just had a brain storm and said it is Orleton Court.

Back