• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home guard and Royal Signals

• Thread starter Thread starter Forward
  • Start date Start date
F

Forward

Hi,
So far as we understand in WW2 father was in the Home Guard. However we have a Royal Signals badge which we presume belonged to him. If so was he in both at different times or would his branch of the Home Guard (He lived in Lozells) have been under the control of the Royal Signals?
Ray

Hello there, I was in the army cadets during the the war at Cateswell House in Hall Green, we had a signals section with our own radio sets and
everything, we only went to the Royal Signals for training etc I cant
remember them having a depot in Birmingham. We used to go shooting
every other Sunday to the rifle ranges at Kingsbury, near Tamworth.
By the the time I joined up at 17 and a half I was already a marksman.
bye Bernard :cool: If you want the rainbow you gotta have the rain Dolly
Parton.

Ray,

Almost certainly every HG battalion throughout the country had a signals section (as did Bernard's cadets). One assumes that these sections would have had links with the Army - in this case the Royal Signals -for training, exercises and other reasons. But I'm pretty sure that your father would have always sported the correct cap badge for his HG unit which would have been the Royal Warwicks.

But the war went on for a long time and many young men who joined in 1940 would have later ended up in the Army proper. Do you have any other bits and pieces which might give you a further clue?

There's quite a bit of stuff about HG signals units in my website - do a search here using the term "signals"

Chris

Home Guard Battalions in Warwickshire had as their cap badge the Royal Warwickshire Regiment cap badge as did the Army Cadets, your Dad`s Royal Signals badge would have been a keepsake, if H/Gs were trained in signaling they would have had a sewn on cloth badge on their sleeve. Len.

Thanks for all inputs and the link which I will look through.

The bits of info we have is his role was working directly alongside a doctor to the extent we’re told he was pretty accurate in diagnosing family and neighbours ailments, although he could not prescribe medication. His trade was a toolmaker.

Picture is of badge which I do not hold but told it’s Royal Signals, I can find out exact inscription if you so wish.

Ray

Ray. The badge in your post is called a "Sweetheart Brooch" given by servicemen to their Wives or Girlfriends etc. Len.

Last edited:
Ray, I think you would be right, in his trade of Toolmaker he would be working 12 to 14 hrs a day and with his HG duties he did his share for the war effort. Len.

Back