• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Woodworkers. Aston

ando127

Can anyone remember the Hockley Woodworkers which was in High Street Aston.
It was owned by my Grandfather Archie Harris and my father Conrad also used to work there.
The shop closed in the early 70's.
Any information would be much appreciated.

Hi Ando, I remember the shop very well and also your dad Conrad, the shop was next door or next door but one to Burlington Hall and as I spent a lot of time there used to pass it often, I seem to remember a small general shop next door to HWW and the owner had a parrot. When I was older and married we used to buy things such as beading, door handles etc., from the shop. Your dad was a big man with reddish coloured hair if I remember right, is he still alive?

Hi Sylvia, Thankyou for your reply. My dad left Hockley Woodworkers in1972 and bought a DIY/Handyman store in Alcester, Warks.
The shop was sucessful and dad became a popular member of the local community, everybody knew him.
Sadly he passed away in 1985, due to cancer age 57. Still miss him now.
Would be great if you friend could provide more info/memories.
Thanks again Sylvia.

Hi Ando, I have spoken to my friend he remembers as a boy (he is in his 70s now) that there used to model aircraft displays in the window, this must have been in your grandfather's time. He remembers buying many items from the shop in your dad's era, your dad turned a set of wooden door handles for him, supplied and cut to shape formica for a bathroom, and my friend remembers buying a flat back for fitted wardrobes which are still in use now.

He was sorry to hear that your dad passed away at such a young age, he always got on well and liked your father.

Hi Sylvia. Thankyou so much. I'm now trying to find photographs of the shop. Don't know whether you could help or point me in the right direction?

Back