• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cracking pic of st georges fish and chip saloon hockley st...think i can just make out in the window it says roe tonight...

mike if you spot this could i have a map please marking out numbers 126 to 132

thanks mike

Attachments

• Hockley Street No 126-132 Hockley.jpg
    Hockley Street No 126-132 Hockley.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 29
Lyn
Below is map c 1955 showing 126-132 on the corner of Smith St. alos, in case you don't have it, a picture from the opposite direction of the same buildings.

map_c_1955_showing_126-132_hockley_st.jpg

Hockley_St_126-132__Smith_St_early_1950s.jpg

thanks mike thats great...i had a feeling it was near the corner with smith st as i remember posting that photo on the smith st thread some years back...

lyn

This picture appeared in the BPS 1996 Journal, don’t think it has appeared on the Forum.

“Children playing in the street, Hockley, Birmingham, 1943.”

Anyone know the location ?

IMG_1217.jpeg

There are (as far as I can see) just 5 distinguishing features,
1. the lanterns on the far left which are most likely the location of a pub.
2. the entrance to a yard or factory (where the young boy is playing).
3. most probably a side street with little traffic.
4. a road/street off to the right.
5. possibly a 'Y' junction in the distance.

This photo is on BHF somewhere but I think the other one was not as good quality.

I've had a quick look on the 1950s map of Hockley but no joy at the moment, I thought perhaps The Woodman Inn on Barr Street but can't find a photo of it to check the lanterns,

Pedro, I think Smith Street could be a strong possibility, a photo of the Queens Head at 134 Hockley Street from around 1943 could confirm this (assuming the lanterns at the front are the same). Entries to the back2back houses and the area where the young boy is playing seem to fit.

Attachments

• possibly-smith-st.jpg
    possibly-smith-st.jpg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 4
Back