• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Chemicals

Shortie

master brummie
Can someone do a look up for me please, for the Telex address of the Hockley Chemical Company. In the 1960's it was on the corner of Vyse Street and Gt Hampton Street, or if it was not, the advertisement for them was painted on the wall. I am sure the telex address was HOCKLEYKEM. Can someone confirm that for me please.

Shortie

Shortie - You are correct. Hockley Chem was on the corner of Vyse Street and Gt Hampton Row because I used to have to collect goods from there in the 60's as an errand boy for a company in the Jewellery Quarter. Mabz

Hi Mabz, oh good, that means my memory is still intact! Do you remember it had HockleyKem in large black letters on the corner of the building, which was squared off? I am hoping someone with a Kelly's will have the telex address for them. I remember going past on the bus wondering what chemicals they made and why. It took me a long time to find out, I can tell you. Thanks.

Shortie

Thanks Lyn - I was always fascinated by this building, and a few others, and had no idea my 3 x gt grandparents, then my 2 x gt grandparents lived just around the corner in Key Hill. I did not find out until 2004, but it might explain my fascination with the area. I lived in Handsworth for four years, so never got to really know it at the time, how I wished I had, before all the houses came down.

Cheers

Shortie

hi shortie..this is the best i can do for a pic..it shows the trees pub (no longer there) on the corner of vyse and gt hampton st...as you say hockley chem is just on the right up vyse st...ive been trying for ages to get a full on shot of hockley chem itself...

lyn
Substitute Photo

Hockley%20Trees%20Inn%20Great%20Hampton%20St.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lyn, but I don't remember the pub, just the HockleyKem sign on the flat piece of wall. Did the pub close and the chemical company take the building over? I used to travel into Birmingham on the No 72 (and back again, obviously), and I used to see it then, possibly when the bus had stopped. I am very intrigued now. It's a 'private' shop now (the mind boggles). I am sure the chemical co were in that building.

Cheers

Shortie

Shortie

Hockley Chemical Co. Ltd. (Incorporating Tubbs
&. Wilkins), manufacturers of electro-plating & polishing
plant & machinery, acids, chemicals, " LYKEM " salts,
lacquers, polishing mops, compos, brushes &c, 1 &2 Hockley
hill; 64 & 65 Vyse street; engineering works, Well
street & factory, Barr street. T A " Hoklykem, Birmingham;"
TN's Northern 2011 to 2013
Hockley Chemical Co. Ltd. (The), electro plating plant
machnry. mfrs. 1 & 2 Hockley hill 18 ; 64 & 65 Vyse
st 18; Well st 19; & 48 to 54 Hylton st 18. T A
" Hoklykem, Birmingham " ; Northern 6201 (6 lines)
Hockley Chemical Co. Ltd. (The), electro plating plant
machnry. mfrs. 1 Hockley hill 18 (T A " Hoklykem,
B'ham"; Northern 6201, 6 linos) & (engineering dept.)
Well st 19
mike

Excellent work Mike, thanks a lot. So it was on the corner, but I got the spelling wrong slightly. I wish I had had a bet with my husband, he said the Kem bit was not spelt with a K. I am going to enjoy this!!!!

This is for the intro to my book, so it's quite important. Many thanks

Shortie

I worked there for a short time c1968. What a dump, like walking back in time. I think the company was thrown into a charitable trust over an disagreement in the Tubbs family many moons ago. The trust held the purse strings from then on. I am really not too informed about this and it would be interesting to see if anybody knows the full story.

Back