• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hills Menke & co

Mutreeh

I bought an iron suitcase in the Netherlands from the company Hills Menke & co despite searching the internet I can't find much about this company besides the fact that they started in birmingham. founded in 1878 , do they still exist?
Does anyone know the history of this company? When did they stop, I'm very curious.
Sincerely, Mutreeh from the Netherlands

There is a bit about the company mentioned on this page of an old thread..

A Sparks, thanks for your information I had already found it here. I hope there is more to tell / find about this company, because there is little that can be found on the internet

A Sparks, thanks for your information I had already found it here. I hope there is more to tell / find about this company, because there is little that can be found on the internet
It's strange isn't it - very little at all!
Another member may be able to find some more info for you - I think members have access to our old Kelly's Directories to check dates they were at that address.

Menke is in 1914 the Present Principal, what happend after that date? WW1 has started around that date, has the company stopped because of WW1? hopefully some other members will respond, thank you for respond.

They seem to vanish around the time of WW1. This may because their premises were also used by the German High Commissioner (or whatever he was called in Birmingham) who was C Menke.

Last edited:
The company did not start in Great charles St, and , because the year in Kellys is the publication date, not the survey date, I believe the company may have started at least a year before 1878.
1876 No mention
1878-1882 Hills Menke & Co, iron, metal, tinplate , iron wire & and hardware merchants, 5 Carrs Lane
1883-1892 Hills Menke & Co, iron, metal, tinplate , & and hardware merchants, 8 Great Charles St
1895 Hills Menke & Co, iron, metal, tinplate ,hardware & and general merchants, 154 Great Charles St
1897-1915 Hills Menke & Co, merchants, 154 Great Charles St
1921 J Browne Wilson & sons,. export merchants, 154 Great Charles St
The change in address from 8 to 154 was real, and not due to renumbering.
Menke was listed as German Consul in Kellys from 1908-1912, but not in 1904 edition

While searching for Carl (Karl) Theodor Menke and his son Frederick William Menke I found this site and thread with its valuable information about Hills & Menke.

May be, the medals of father and son Menke, I could purchase these days, and some other information about them are of some interest here.

Attachments

• 30972_175932-00215.jpg
    30972_175932-00215.jpg
    503.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 61808_ho140_333-00094.jpg
    61808_ho140_333-00094.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Menke, Carl Theodor in Wer ist´s 1914.jpg
    Menke, Carl Theodor in Wer ist´s 1914.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Menke, Carl Theodor in Handbuch für das Deutsche Reich 1914.JPG
    Menke, Carl Theodor in Handbuch für das Deutsche Reich 1914.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Birmingham in the Great War S. 38.JPG
    Birmingham in the Great War S. 38.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Menke 4.jpg
    Menke 4.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Menke 3.jpg
    Menke 3.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Menke 2.jpg
    Menke 2.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 11
  • Menke 1.jpg
    Menke 1.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 15
Very interesting, especially in demonstrating the position of settled German families in the UK around the time of WW1. Seems Mr Menke was prosecuted in 1916, presumably for continuing with contracts to supply customers in Germany. Looks to me that he and his business partner(s) were able to continue until 1915 . (Post #9 suggests the business in that name no longer existed after 1915)

"Immediately after the outbreak of War, the Aliens Restriction Act meant that Germans could not move more than five miles and had to register with the police. The Act also eliminated all German newspapers and clubs. A series of measures also closed down all of the German-owned businesses in Britain and confiscated property and assets without compensation for the owners. Most dramatically, the government introduced a policy of wholesale internment of males of military age" (Source; Our Migration Story).

I wondered where he'd been interned. Looks like he subsequently signed up for service in the Labour Corps in 1917. Was his wealth confiscated ? And of course the German Club would have been closed. I think this was on Easy Row.

The most interesting aspect for me is the knock-on effect for his family, friends, business partner(s) and serving Labour Corps fellow soldiers. His family and business were long established in this country, so was he subjected to exactly the same Alien Restrction Act requirements as per other German residents ?

Thanks for posting. Viv.

Last edited:
Back