• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill Top Farm, Handsworth

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
I noticed on a thread stared by Lyn, "Help Needed", that John Knight posted a map from 1831. On it, just below the word "Handsworth", is Hill Top Farm.
Does anyone have an Alan Godfrey map covering this area? I want to order one but need to make sure it's the right one. I think it could be either No. 7.16 or 68.12
Thanks in advance.:)

7.16 is 1917 map mainly built up areas the top right of the map some of the names are **** hill so it could run into both maps ( I dont have the other )

David
The site of it seems to be on the Handsworth map (7,16), though nothing seems visible by then. Attached are succesive maps published in 1834, 1895 and 1908 of the same area. I have marked in red on the last two where i would put the site of the farm . Assuming you agree with me, then the last map shows the immediate area from the alan godfrey Handsworth map. hope this is useful
Mike

site_of_hilltop_farm_pub_1834.jpg

site_of_hilltop_farm__pub_1895.jpg

site_of_hilltop_farm__pub_1908.jpg

site_of_hilltop_farm_c_1913.jpg

Thanks mikejee for your investigation! Great detective work.
My maternal grandfather was born to an unmarried lady whose father owned Hill Top Farm. I'm trying to research this family but there are several large holes!
As we're stuck in due to the snow for the next few days I intend to concentrate on this period of his life up until I have him living with his adoptive family in Adams St in Aston in 1901.

Thanks again:)

Hi David,
I am new to this site. My Great Grandmother lived at Hill Top Cottages and her parents were at Hill Top Farm Handsworth around about 1850 - 1885 is this the period you are interested in.
If so who was your grandfather. I am interested in Lillian who only appears on the 1881 census and I can find no other trace of her.

Yours
Belle B

Back