• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

hill street.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i havnt seen many pics of hill st so heres one ive just come accross...

hill st late 1800s looking up to victoria square and the temerperance hotel on the right..this is now the site of the gpo...
Image replaced

hill st inlate 1800s showing temperance hotel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn that's a fantastic picture I just love the old ones to see what the streets looked like.

i agree with you wend..the old ones are the best...by the way i cant see that temperance hotel going down too well with one or two of our members....mentioning no names but you all know who you are..lol...

lyn

A great picture Lyn - I wonder what the board is on top of the roof of the hotel (looks as if it is supported by wooden props) would it be a hotel sign or a board advertising something?
polly

hi shirl and poppy...nice one isnt it...polly i never noticed that board..at a guess it could be a sign of some sorts....
lyn

im sure they will alf....i only post the pics...im not to good at sorting out the final details...confuses me...lol

lyn

The council house , opened in 1879 and looks complete in the picture The post office (which replaced the temperance hotel) was opened in 1891. There seem to be posters or notices on the hotel building (and the one behind) including one near the corner that looks like its over a window. Could these be to say hotel is closed and demolition is about to begin? The Board and props could be something similar . Only a surmise.
mike

thanks mike..at least you have narrowed down the date...pre 1891.....

cheers...

lyn

Nice bit of detective work on this one well done Mike. I also notice the chap in the front right has a long pole would this be used to extinguish the gas lamps?

think you are right shirl..and would that be the temperance hotel on the left....

lyn...

How very considerate of the artist to be facing Hill St, Lyn. The hotel does look to be the Temperance, but I am puzzled by the significance of the Corbetts painted above.
Shirley

shirl i wonder if maybe the hotel did not go round the corner...pollypops commented on what looked like a sign on the top of the temperance in my pic...hoping someone can help out with this....

lyn

The Temperance hotel was at 49 or later (49-50) Paradise St.
In 1849 no 49 was run as a temperance coffee rooms by Joseph Corbett.
1855-68 it was a Temperance hotel run by Joseph Corbett
1872-76 was run as a temperance coffee rooms by Mrs Ann Corbett
1878 -1880 run as Temperance hotel by Mrs Ann Corbett
1883 - 1884 run as Temperance hotel by Mrs Mary Ann Gough
1888 not listed
This explains the Corbetts

hi all
Very funny story from hill street, was standing at the bus stop near the bottom of hill st with my dad and sister, some time in the late 50's when right in front of us there was a slight collision between a bus and van,
. The bus driver wearing a turban and from India I should think and the van driver I suppose from the Carribean he bus driver was quite angry and a short argument ensued when the Indian gentleman said "I wish you foreigners would learn to drive before you come to my country", my dad and some of the others at the bus stop burst into shouts of laughter, I have never forgotten it seems somehow relavent to-day.
regards
paul

Hi, the Corbett's Temperance Hotel was run by my ancestor's, Joseph CORBETT and his wife Ann (nee WILLINGTON), I have a picture of the front with the sign, and will try and post it on here, but I'm new to this so not sure how well it will work! They ran the hotel from 1846(at the latest, perhaps before) and when Joseph died in 1868 Ann carried on with the assistance of her grandaughter Ann Mary TAYLOR, later GOUGH (she married Alfred GOUGH). Another grandaughter Agnes Florence BRADLEY (nee TAYLOR) also ran it for a short time in 1881. The picture is from about June 1887, and I'm not sure whether it was still open, or had been vacated by this time, it would be nice to know. In the museum and art gallery at the moment there is a nice painting in the Birmingham exhibition of the area in about 1850, with just a slither of the hotel on the left. Hope this is useful, also if anyone knows anything more I would be grateful,
Jenni

p.s. can't get image up but the sign says;

"The Best Temerance Beverage
'MONTERRAT'
The Lancet Says
"We council the public to drink their Monterrat Lime Juice, Limetta, or Pure Lime Juice Cordial"
To be obtained everywhere"

I don't think they would approve of me!!lol

hi jenni and welcome to the forum...how fantastic that your ancestors ran the temperance hotel....if you need any help with anything just give us a shout....there are lots of good folk on here only too willing to lend a hand...

lyn

Welcome to the forum Jenni how fantastic your family ran the Temperance Hotel!
Lyn I bet you never thought you would get a result like this when you posted the first photo!

i certainly didnt wend..its things like this that make posting pics all the more worth while...by the way do remember that story i posted about the fire in little hill st..i cant find where i posted it...lol....can you remember where it is as i think it was around the time jennis ancestors ran the temperance...

lyn

thanks wend..well jennis ancestors certainly were in hill st at the right time...i am just trying to find out if little hill st and hill street were close to each other then i will get back to her...

lyn

Another pic of the Temperance Hotel. How exciting to discover so much about a business your family were involved with, Cuppa.

Back