• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henry Corbetts shop Newtown Row

Dionysius//88

master brummie
I saw the name Corbetts on a thread about Newman Tonks and thought I must tell you this little tale, we'd been in our new townhouse in Aston about 12 months this was approx 1977 . The wife had said we could do with painting the kitchen , so off we trot to Henry Corbetts we looked at some colour charts and after a time we chose a colour we were then told it would have to be mixed . If memory serves me we said okay we'll call back a bit later and collect it , which we did I booked a couple of days off work to do the painting . By lunchtime on the second day the tin was empty , we'd undermeasured how much we needed I was at work the following day but the wife and my younger son went to get some more , this man of some senior years proceeded to mix it but he seemed rather certain he wouldn't be able to continue the procedure because of being short of one element . A younger man came to assist and asked what the trouble was " we got no E " to continue have you tried this the yonger man asked "yes but withiut the E you can't do it" what about this the younger man asked again ." No I haven't tried that" the older man replied within minutes a new can of the right colour emerged . When I got home both wife and son were in stitches reliving the situation of "we've got no E "
A little lesson that I learnt from this was , just because you're older doesn't mean you know everything

Back