• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help With a Medal Card

barrie

master brummie
I have found the medal card for 16385 Henry Thomas Wells. Ox and Bucks L.I. But I'm blowed if I can get the image to open. This is on An******

could someone else have a go at it please. Ta very much.

Barrie.

barrie i am having the same problem with mine. william h sutton 50677. been trying all day so must be ancestry.

chris

Barrie from The National Roll of the Great War.

Wells, H.T. Private Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.
He volunteered in 1914 and on completion of his training he was drafted to Salonika, where he saw much heavy fighting during the Balkan campaign. He also saw sevices for a time in Russia and was demobilised in 1919 He holds the 1914-15 Star and the General Service and Victory Medals. Address 25, Carver Street Birmingham.

Hope this is of interest. Wendy.:)

My grandfathers name was Albert Edward Haylor, and I have found two medal cards in this name but how can I find out for sure if either are his. Can anyone help please?. John 70

Hi John.

Have you tried the Absent Voters List 1918? Thats how I found my Grandad.

If you don't have access to the list, just post his address/addresses on here, and one of us will look it up for you. Thats the only thing I can suggest.

Barrie.

Thankyou very much Barrie, it is him, I wasnt even sure where he lived in 1918, but I was born at that address in Blackford Road, in 1937, I am really pleased to know what regiment he was in as no one in the family knew. What a fantastic site this is, with so much help from fellow Brummies. Regards. John 70.:)

Thankyou very much Barrie, it is him, I wasnt even sure where he lived in 1918, but I was born at that address in Blackford Road, in 1937, I am really pleased to know what regiment he was in as no one in the family knew. What a fantastic site this is, with so much help from fellow Brummies. Regards. John 70.:)

No problem John, you're very welcome.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie,
Could you help me with my grandfather also please?
Frederick Lorton, born 29 Aug 892
On the medal rolls index cards there is a F Lorton (Fredk) under the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, regimental number 1288, 62050, 200067, 5096345.
I am wondering if this is him...;)
I have no access to absent voters lists.

I can't find a Frederick Lorton on Birmingham's electoral roll, 1912/18 or /20.
Where he lived is no guarantee of which regiment he was in, I've found, but checking the 'F Lorton' (also F Lorten one referred to on it) card, It's the only one that seems to fit.

Hi Lloyd,
Thanks for this.
I understand you have the electoral roll for 1920?
Frederick married Jessie Horton in 1919.
So she should be somewhere on the electoral roll without her husband in 1920?
Any chance of you checking for me, please?

3 'Jessie Horton' entries for 1920
Alfred and Jessie Horton at 85 Parade, Ladywood
James and Jessie Horton at 138 Putney Road Handsworth
Jessie and George Henry Horton at 21 Ruston Street Ladywood
House owner's name listed first.
No Jessie Horton listings for earlier. (Women couldn't vote then!)

The only one is:
Jessie and Charles Lorton, who with Richard Moxon and John Elisha Cheesman, are at 15 Whitehead Road, Lozells. Again Jessie is shown first, as the house owner. (or renter.)

In 1925 and 1930 Frederick and Jessie Lorton were living at 8 house court 5 Pickford St. Frederick Lorton is not on the 1918 absent voters list.

Barrie.

Hi Barry and Lloyd,
Thankyou so much for all your help.
I think that the Jessie you found could well be the right one.
It's logic that Frederick was not on the absent voter's listings for 1918 as he married Jessie 1Q 1919, so home on leave etc etc?

Is there anyway one of you could confirm what the medal was? I just couldn't decipher the writing!

Also, is there anywhere I can look up the Regiment number to find out finally if it was my grandda' - tried the regiment site, but that only shows you how many were issued - not who to.

F Lorton's card refers to the fact that until 1927, his details were recorded as F Lorten.
F. Lorten's card tells that he landed in France on 22/3/1915 and was later awarded the 1915 star, the British War Medal and the Victory medal.
I've added a picture of these, in the above order, with their ribbons.
The Star would have his name, rank, regiment and number stamped on the reverse.

May I ask a question?
Where these medals handed out to all who served, or did the person have to do something special to get one or all?

Hi Barrie or Lloyd
Could you please check for me information on my grandfather Harry Gordon Griffiths born 1884
1901 census had the family living at #2 Islington Row Edgbaston, he wasn't on that census he had joined the army I don't know the regiment and then stationed in India.
Also where do you find the Absent Voters List

I can't find him on the electoral roll, which is where the absent voters list is (1918 - entitled to vote, but absent, away on military duty)

The medal cards only deal with WW1, and there are lots of Harry Griffiths es.
Only one Harry G Griffiths though, here you are.

Thank you so much Lloyd,
I'm having trouble reading it, I can read 3rd div but what does the rest mean under corps and rank

Corps:3rd Bde (Brigade), RHA (Royal Horse Artillery). Rank: Dvr (Driver) Reg. No. (Regimental Number) 33392.

Are you enlarging the image?
Click on the picture in my post, then click again, where it says 'Open Original' at the bottom.
Move your mouse pointer over the new image: it should turn into a small magnifying glass. Click again and the image becomes
HUGE

For NEGRITASPIDER

All members of the forces who served in a theatre of war during WW1 received either two or three medals. Other medals were also given for acts of gallantry. If a soldier stayed in the UK for medical reasons then he did not get any medals. However there were special dispensations given to members of the forces working in the docks and attached to munition factories in the UK.. they did receive medals.

Terry

message for Lloyd!

On the pic that you sent me for Frederick Lorton, there's a hand note which seems to read "1924 Court for D.E.M."
What does that mean??

Back