• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help seeking ww1 pvt arthur james beddard rwr

• Thread starter Thread starter radbroke
  • Start date Start date
R

radbroke

Hi I'm seeking information on: WW1 PRVT 141104 ARTHUR JAMES BEDDARD. 14th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Who died age 23 on Apr 13 1918. TANNAY CEMETRY. Next of kin: DORIS MARION BEDDARD 19 Stanmore Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham. I have his medal card and medals. But would dearly love to see any photographs of him or his pals, or indeed any additional information at all. Thanks Mike

the Soldiers Died Great War CD records:

Name: Arthur James BEDDARD
Number: 104
Regiment etc: Royal Warwickshire Regiment
Battalion etc: 14th Battalion
Born: Nottingham
Enlisted: Nottingham
Residence: Nottingham
Died Date: 13 April 18
Died How: Of wounds
Theatre of war: France & Flanders

There does not appear to be a service record for him on Ancestry.

Death Certificate details (from the overseas deaths index)

Beddard Arthur J, Pte, Number 104, Unit Warw, Year 1918, Volume I.50 Page 337

Have you obtained census information about him as yet?

Doug

Thanks Doug

No....though I think prior to service he lived with Doris and Uncle Edward Grainger as his war memorial is located in Edgbaston? Im hoping to visit this very soon armed with poppy's

Hm, the only one I can find in 1901 in the time frame is an Arthur Beddard, born c1895, Sedgley, Staffordshire, mother Hannah.

Would that be him? Or is it another case of a mis-transcription by Ancestry?

Thanks all for links and info..... Sadly Icarus Arthur isn't listed on the links. He died on the 13th April but wasn't listed as killed. Probably included in the "unknown" mentioned in the diary. Procat Arthur James's Mother Was Harriett Beddard nee Grainger.

Hi there, Curiously in the 1901 Wales Census,there is a Harriet Beddard,age 42,a widow, living in Pembrokeshire with her sister and one visitor, Arthur Grainger 21,who was a student at Oxford! May not be a relation,but just thought it too good a coincidence not to mention!
Good luck on your search.

I saw that as well ladylinda. Unfortunately that is the closest I can find in the 1901 census for England, Wales and Scotland.

Doug

Ok, where do I start?

First I checked on James' sister Doris listed as next of kin on CWGC site.
Doris Marion Beddard born 3q 1892 Basford (Notts) ref 7b 263

Then I checked the electoral rolls
In 1912 & 1920, William P & Hannah Greenway were at 19 Stanmore Road Edgbaston.

William P Greenway married Hannah Hipkins 2q 1866 Dudley 6c 204

Miriam Greenway born 1q 1867 Walsall ref 6b 625

James Beddard born 2q 1872 Dudley ref 6c 117

James Edward Beddard married Miriam Greenway 2q 1891 Dudley ref 6c 171

Arthur James Beddard born 3q 1895 Basford (Notts) ref 7b 283

1901 census: Was mis-transcribed as BEDDOW
RG13/2744/68/5 Dwelling: 51 Hinley Road Dudley
Miriam Beddard M Head 34 born Walsall
Doris M Beddard 8 Notts
James A Beddard (ARTHUR J?) 5 Notts

No sign of James (yet!) and Miriam is not a widow (and no death recorded)

I have some 1891 census info too but I'll let you absorb the above first. :)

ps... think I've located James on 1901 census.Checking it out.

Interesting re the 1901 census as radbroke has stated the mother was Harriett.

Perhaps Miriam was another name of Harriett?

Doug

I've looked at that one, claire-brum71. I think she was born in 1839 and if that's Arthur's mom then she had him when she was 56! :shocked: She died in 1905 age 66.

Think I'll wait 'til Radbroke tells us what definite info he has.

regarding claire's comment I think they were the parents of james edward Beddard.

Thank you so much for all this information. There is a mystery surrounding Harriets Husband James Edward Beddard. He also "bad boy" married Jane A. Metcalf Hebden Bridge. When he died she discovered he had been married before!!!! They had seven children and Jane was left without any means of support, because the inheritance from his Mothers will went to the children of the first marriage: Arthur James Beddard and Doris Marion Beddard who emigrated to the USA following her Brothers death in WW1.

Marriages for both James Edward Beddard and a Miriam Greenway in Dudley 1891.

A James E Beddard b. Churchill Worcs described as single age 32 in Wortley yorks,1901
James Beddard married Jane Metcalfe registered Wortley June 1901

Interesting that on the 1901 the children are born in Notts as the James who is in Wortley, Yorks on the 1901 is working and boarding in Notts in 1891..

Miriam Beddard died in 1911 age 44.

Last edited:
Arthur James Beddard was on original volunteer to the 1st Birmingham Battalion (14th Royal Warwicks). He served in No.4 Platoon of A Company.
below is a platoon photograph taken around mid-1915. Unfortunately, unless you know what he looks like he cannot be identified. He was born in Nottingham and Nottingham was also his place of Residence when he enlisted in September 1914.

Terry

Yep, I had a couple of senior moments this morning by mixing up Arthur and James. Spent so much time on this and another 3 search quests overnight that everything was melding together! :rolleyes:

Great 'find' Terry. Radbroke will be chuffed with that. :thumbsup:

Icarus.....Radbroke is more than chuffed I'm amazed and so happy for the help you guyz have given me.

Hi Guyz n Girls. Had a Fantastic day today visiting Brum. Edgbaston St Augustin's Church to see Arthur James Beddard's Name on the War Memorial. What a beautiful church I spent some time paying my respects and placed a small cross to his memory. Everything seemed to blurr at that point. Also visited 19 stanmore Road, Edgbaston home of Doris Beddard and I suspect Arthur prior to his death.

Arthur James Beddard was on original volunteer to the 1st Birmingham Battalion (14th Royal Warwicks). He served in No.4 Platoon of A Company.
below is a platoon photograph taken around mid-1915. Unfortunately, unless you know what he looks like he cannot be identified. He was born in Nottingham and Nottingham was also his place of Residence when he enlisted in September 1914.

Terry

Hi Terry....Im confused! If Arthur was born and lived in Nottingham up until he enlisted, I would have expected his name to be placed on a memorial as a Nottingham Boy. Is he listed on the Edgbaston Memorial because Doris Beddard is his next of kin and therefore it's close to her address?

The info I got was taken from 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' (Royal Warwickshire). Also, prior to forming the 1st B'ham Bn, volunteers had thie names and addresses published in the B'ham Daily Post, however, there was no such info for A J Beddard.

Terry

Had confirmation from Dudley Archaology Officer that James and Doris Beddard's Uncle Edward Grainger, was Mayor of Dudly from 9th November 1899 - 8th November 1901. Seems there maybe a connection with a busuiness Grainger and Smith on Dudley High Street. Not sure what the business was I understand he was by proffession a Wool Merchant?

Back