• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help needed

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all...i love this pic but could someone please pinpoint for me extactly where it was taken and name the other roads/streets for me...caption reads newtown redevopement looking towards miller st....not being very good at directions i have looked at my maps but still cant be sure...i think the building in the foreground may be the crocodile works and that was in porchester st. and i think i can see the gas works. if thats the case i just cant figure out what the other roads/streets are...no wonder i never took up driving....

any help would be great

thanks

astoness

Astonbrook street Bracebridge street Newtown Row running horizontally this photograph would have been take from Asylum road the Crocodile works would the other end of Asylum road behind the camera person

see what i mean john..ive no sense of direction at all...so thats not the croc works ...my aunt lived in bracebridge st..would that be the one on the right then....

lyn

john...think ive got me bearings now...left hand side of pic on the corner i think used to be a fruit and veg shop...

lyn

Lynn I can tell you exactly where it is....
Aston Rd front of the pic' Allesley St going to the left and Bracebridge St going to the right and Miller St runs along the bottom of them.
I was born in Allesley St, I have in my files on my old 'puter a close up pic' of the corner shop and the Pub that was just across the road from it in Bracebridge St. When number one son sorts out my access to the files I'll post it for you.

Chris?Pom

Last edited:
hi chris...i didnt realise thats where you were born..thanks for the offer of seeing your pic...will look forward to it...i shall be going down that way soon taking pics of the surrounding streets...would you like me take a couple of whats left of allesly st...

lyn

Sorry Pom/Chris,
John Houghton is right on the money. You are at the wrong end of Bracebridge Street. The picture shows Newtown Row running across the front with Aston Brook Street branching off to the left off Bracebridge Street.
Astoness, you sent me a picture of a pub (I think it was The Grapes), which is directly opposite this junction, e.g. from where the picture was taken.

I hope I have explained this well enough not to confuse.

P.S. I too was born in Bracebridge Street but at the other end (Aston Road end), which is were Pom was describing. See attached picture of Allesley Street/Bracebridge Street/Aston Road. Pom, this is for you.

Sorry I stand corrected, I thought the shop on the corner of the two streets was the same one in your pic' Dave. I can now see it is a different shop.

Chris/Pom

hi dave...it dosnt take much to confuse me..lol...but yes i understand what you are saying...i think....thanks for posting that pic i have not seen that one before...

lyn

Lynn that pic' Dave has posted is almost the same as my one, but mine is a closer shot of the shop and pub. Thanx Dave :-)

Chris / Pom

hi chris..its a great pic that dave posted although i am still looking forward to seeing yours...isnt it strange that we have difficultly in finding pics of certain streets etc so i would appreciate any of the bracebridge st area....

lyn

Back