• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help needed where shall i shop?

Hockleybrook

proper brummie kid
Coming on November the 4th for a day in Birmingham, bringing my Daughter, who wrongly thinks being a Brummie I will know all the good places to go in this great city but friends I havent been to the city of BIrmingham for well over 40 years so some tips would be greatly appreciated.
We are coming by coach so once dropped off wont have transport, therfore the suburbs are out. Looking to do Christmas and bargain basement sort of shopping I have heard about the new Bull Ring but wondered is there anywhere else in town we should go to? I would also be glad if you could recommend a nice pub for lunch, if there is one in the town centre, perhaps a sizzling or something like that?
My thanks go to Astoness who has given me instruction on how to 'new thread' Thanks for any help.

Well I have left birmingham now but i return to the bullring and rag alley every year and my self and my london wife love shopping up there. I even came back from cyprus to shop there for the last 5 years. some were for lunch your spoilt fo choice but i,m a little sad i like to go into the cafe next to rag ally for my fav fish and chips.
colin

I don't know all the shopping areas in Birmingham but if you head for the Bull Ring there are loads of shops to choose from including the new Selfridges,there is a Primark in New Street depending on what you are looking for. Unfortunately the Rag Market is closed on a Wednesday. The area is full of shops. I am not sure about where to eat but there are so many eateries in the area all good depending on price!

hi june...its not far from the coach station to new st and the new bull ring shopping centre...you may also want to try the shops in the pallasades as well...thats just up the ramp off new st...look out for poundland for your christmas bargains...i am bearing in mind now that you have not visited the city for 40 years so it will be a lot different from how you remember it but im sure you will have a great day out shopping...i am not a great one for eating out up town so maybe some others members may suggest somewhere nice to go for a meal...

lyn...

And if you want to see how the other half buy clothes then a visit to The Mail Box and Harvey Nicols is a must and try to take in the area around Centenary Square and Brindley place. Plenty of places to eat wherever you go. Not sure what a Sizzling is though?

A tall order but can be done as we always take friends and family from Glasgow to those places in a day.

As Astoness says expect big changes in 40 years as even over the 10 years my now wife has been down here major changes have taken place.

Hi, I think you might find all the shops you need by heading for the Bull ring and then wondering outside to High Street and New Street.
If you mean a Sizzling pub I don't think there is one in the town centre.
www.sizzlingpubs.co.uk
If you like pizza there is a Pizza hut in the Bull ring and also one up New Street. I know not everyone likes them but you know what you're getting and they usually have some lunchtime offers on.
Enjoy yourselves
Polly

A comment on Sizzling pubs. Cheap prices on a grill based menu. Quality can vary enormously from very good to awful. We never miss the one at Quinton ( Stag & Threehorse Shoes).I realise that is to far out, I just put it in for the locals.
I have never been disapointed in any pub I have eaten in the city. Have a great day out.

Don't miss the food hall,the variety and quality are unsurpassed...but then, I am always thinking of food.

I usually frequent two eateries when i come back to Birmingham.

The first is the Victoria Restaurant in Gt Western Arcade and secondly
the Museum and Art Gallery Restaurant, both good value for money.

Enjoy your day...

Depending on what sort of shopping you want to do- you will find everything you need in the bull ring, and the best fish and chips ,, come down the ramp, do a left and it's on your left,by ramp I mean the one going into New St. the fish shop is opposite the pub that looks like a train, (can't think of it's name).

Thanks to you all for your good advice I didn't expect so much.
Realising how much the old city must have changed over the years was my biggest problem. When I used to hop skip and jump up to town in my lunch hour from my office job there used to be one or two different places to shop in. I used to go to Lewis's and greys for the more unusual things, (gloves, buttons etc.) Then up the top end of New Street on the left was Etams (Undies). There was a florist where I got my Mom some flowers on a stall in the Bull Ring every Friday. And folks, best of all, my beloved coats and 'ats (C and A) never quite recovered from their demise.
Just wondered if there was still different areas, for different things but it sounds as though most can now be found under the Bull Ring Centre.
Thanks again for allyour input I am making lists!

Back