• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help needed please..

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike or anyone who can help..:) would it be possible to post a map of hospital st showing the individual houses please...in perticular we are looking to pinpoint where about courts 20 and 21 were in the street... got very close to a pic of them..this is court 17....

many thanks in advance...

lyn:)

Glad to oblige Lyn. the map shows court 20 in blue and 21 in red. Have also put in what i think is 17 in green. Looking at the picture I would say it was misslabelled, in that it shows the buildings in front of court 17, rather than the court itself. The map is c 1913, but the area of courts 20, 21 is identical to 1890 and i think probably the same as the 1840s and 50s. (The area the other side of George St has changed between 1890 and 1913)
mike

court_21_hospital_st.jpg

wicked mike...thanks everso much for this....i think vivienne will be happy to see it too....

you are a star....

lyn

hi thanks for the map, my gran was born in court 20 and i can get my bearings now.

thanks again,

lynne

Hi Lyn

How nice to connect these addresses. Seems to me that its highly likely our rellies would have known each other with my g g g grandfather living at 21 Court and then my g grandfather living at 182 Hospital St! Viv

hi viv...what years was it that your rellies were there...mine on dads side were there in the late 1920s...and on moms side long before that although i would have to get my files out for the exact date...

lyn

Hi Lyn My gg grandfather was born at 21 Ct Hospital St in Nov 1843. By 1851 the family had moved to Cutlery Bldgs in New John St. Then the Census shows his son (my g grandfather) living at 180 Hospital St in 1901. The family seems to have moved around a fair bit, mostly in the same area I think. By 1920 my g grandfather was living in Lozells. Viv

hi viv..it seems both our families may have bumped into each other over the years as my lot were all around that area including new john st west...its certainly a small world..

lyn

Back