• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HELP - Lost 8mm Wedding Film Found - St Giles Church, Circa 1970

mbenne

master brummie
Dad stopped making 8mm movies around 1971, when he moved to 32mm still photography.
At some point he offered to film a wedding, but whose?
From memory and from what I have seen from the film, which I last saw almost 50 years ago:
St Giles Church, 3pm wedding.
It was a misty afternoon, so possibly late August or early September?
Year uncertain but wedding car is a H registered Ford Zodiac or Zephyr IV, so can't have been filmed earlier than August 69/70
Style of dress is definitely 70s
I may have still been at school when he filmed it, and I left in 1971.
One of the married couples parents may have lived in a prefab type house in Horrell Road - I have a vague recollection of going with Dad to show the film while editing was still in progress - but may be wrong.
No idea how he got involved in making the film but may have been through someone Mom knew. Mom and her work colleague, are both spectators at the wedding. They worked at Sheldon Co-Op and her friend lived in Common Lane.
A lady in the wedding group, who was unknown to my Mom, until around 1973, lived in Burford close Solihull. One of the couple may have lived near there.
In the last set of stills from the digitised film is the reflection of a pub in a window, as Dad filmed some of the reception from outside. Reversing the image, this appears to be the Viking Pub (Now Hobs Meadow), Ulleries Road. The reception was therefore probably held in the assembly rooms across the road, on the site where Fitness First gym was built in 2001.

Some years after the film was made, one of the parents asked for a copy but it had been lost. Today, I found it in an unmarked box and spent 2 hours copying it to a memory card!

The pictures are very 'grainy' but I may be able to further improve the quality.

Can anyone help help identify or locate the married couple so that they can be reunited with this lost memory?

Many thanks

Attachments

• W1.jpg
    W1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 46
  • W2.jpg
    W2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 46
  • W3.jpg
    W3.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 45
  • W4.jpg
    W4.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 46
Dad stopped making 8mm movies around 1971, when he moved to 32mm still photography.
At some point he offered to film a wedding, but whose?
From memory and from what I have seen from the film, which I last saw almost 50 years ago:
St Giles Church, 3pm wedding.
It was a misty afternoon, so possibly late August or early September?
Year uncertain but wedding car is a H registered Ford Zodiac or Zephyr IV, so can't have been filmed earlier than August 69/70
Style of dress is definitely 70s
I may have still been at school when he filmed it, and I left in 1971.
One of the married couples parents may have lived in a prefab type house in Horrell Road - I have a vague recollection of going with Dad to show the film while editing was still in progress - but may be wrong.
No idea how he got involved in making the film but may have been through someone Mom knew. Mom and her work colleague, are both spectators at the wedding. They worked at Sheldon Co-Op and her friend lived in Common Lane.
A lady in the wedding group, who was unknown to my Mom, until around 1973, lived in Burford close Solihull. One of the couple may have lived near there.
In the last set of stills from the digitised film is the reflection of a pub in a window, as Dad filmed some of the reception from outside. Reversing the image, this appears to be the Viking Pub (Now Hobs Meadow), Ulleries Road. The reception was therefore probably held in the assembly rooms across the road, on the site where Fitness First gym was built in 2001.

Some years after the film was made, one of the parents asked for a copy but it had been lost. Today, I found it in an unmarked box and spent 2 hours copying it to a memory card!

The pictures are very 'grainy' but I may be able to further improve the quality.

Can anyone help help identify or locate the married couple so that they can be reunited with this lost memory?

Many thanks
Great work! Sure hope the participants can be found, well done!

Back