• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help in finding address

J

jlowe

Hi, i am new to this great forum.
I live in hampshire,so i do not know birmingham at all , my mother was born at 25, court house watery lane u d. In 1902.
I would like to know if watery lane is still there,or if anyone can tell me about it.
Also my grandfather was in a yarley hospital in little bromwich in 1902, can anyone tell me anything about the hosptial please.
Thank you for any help that you can give me
jan

Hi jlowe: Welcome to the forum. Hope you can find the info that you are searching for. There is a thread regarding Watery Lane on the forum. You can put the name of the street in the Search at the top of the page to find it.

Hi again jlowe: Regarding the hospital you have mentioned in your post.
There was a Fever Hospital many years ago at Little Bromwich.
Not sure what yarley means though.

The hospital is now Hartlands Hospital. The next area over is yardley Green and then Yardley Fields.

the hospital is now hartlands hospital. The next area over is yardley green and then yardley fields.
hi mike-g,
thank you for your help, the names i am researching are walker- gittins and hopkins. And the town of kidderminster.

hi again jlowe: Regarding the hospital you have mentioned in your post.
There was a fever hospital many years ago at little bromwich.
Not sure what yarley means though.
hi jennyann,
thank you for your help,

Hi Jan Welcome to the forum sorry i nearly missed you ..I am sure you will enjoy it here

You may be interested to know that Sandy Lane and Watery Lane are divided by the Coventry Road at Bordesley. Not far from Birmingham City Football ground at St Andrews. There used to be a pub in Watery lane called the Barrel, I say used to be because I don't think it is there now, at the lower end of Watery Lane I seem to remember a fair being held there, possibly it was in Garrison Lane Park. When my parents moved to Birmingham sometime in the 30's I believe their first address was in Watery Lane. I can recall in the 50's at the top end of Watery Lane next to the GPO Telephone Offices, there was a single pig in a pig sty, and I would imagine that being so close to the city centre, he was probably the last pig in Brum to be fed by local neighbours.

Hi bemish,
thank you so much for the info about watery lane,and the pub,
my grandfather walter walker worked as labourer in a brewery at the time he lived in watery lane, so maybe the pub had something to do with brewery he worked for.
I know very little about my WALKER family my grandmother died four weeks after the birth of my mother , after that my mother went to live with her grandmother in kiddermister.
I have no idear what happend to my grandfather , i have not found out when died , only that it was some time before 1929.
My mother died when i was 3 years old, i never knew any of her family, so it has been a real task to trace my brimingham roots.
I have just looked at your wonreful family tree .
Thank you for your kind wecome to this great forum.
Jan

Welcome to the forum Jan. I see you are beginning to get help with your enquiry all ready. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Enjoy the rest of the forum though, wont you ? Barry.

Hi Jlowe. The following were pubs in Watery Lane: The Anchor, The Barrel, The Coachsmiths Arms,The Crown and Anchor, The Sailors Return and The Whire Hart.

THE BIRMINGHAM TO WARWICK CANAL 1793 -1972

Crossing the River Rea on an aqueduct, the canal climbs southward out of the valley by means of six locks, numbers 52-57, which are narrow; the route taken is at first the valley of the Bordesley Brook which gives Watery Lane its name. Crossing beneath Coventry Road and Sandy (formerly Snails) Lane, the canal reaches Camp Hill Top Lock number 52. The great steel viaduct of the Banbury and North Warwickshire Lines (1852, 1907) goes over lane and cut. The summit level, 380 feet, continues for ten miles to Knowle, where locks begin the descent to the Avon valley.

Hi Heartlands Hospital as it is now called, had used to be the Fever Hospital years ago and used to be called East Birmingham Hospital,my Husband who is now 80 was in there as child,because he had Scarlet Fever and his mom was expecting another child at the time,and he had to go there to protect the pregnancy.

Midge

Welcome jlowe. Here is a picture from Mary Harding's usefull little book Birmingham Hospitals on Old Picture Postcards:

2 more pictures of Little Bromwich Hospital aka City Hospital from Mary Harding's interesting collection of pictures in her book Birmingham Hospitals on Old Picture Postcards:

thank you for sending me the great picturs of hosptial,and taking the time to find them for me.
and thank you for your welcme to this wonderful forum.
Jan

Hi Heartlands Hospital as it is now called, had used to be the Fever Hospital years ago and used to be called East Birmingham Hospital,my Husband who is now 80 was in there as child,because he had Scarlet Fever and his mom was expecting another child at the time,and he had to go there to protect the pregnancy.

Midge
HI Midge,
Thankyou for your help with fever hospital,my grandfather was in the haspital jan 1902 , not sure if he also had scarlet fever ,only that he had some kind of fever.
jan

Back