• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help Identifying an Unknown Distant Relative Located on WW1 Records

mbenne

master brummie
My GGF, who was in both RWR and Labour Corps had four cousins from the same family who are dedicated on at least two war memorials in Warwick/Coventry). One was was Charles Wm Bench, with whom my GGF originally enlisted in 1895. Charles became a career soldier but my GGF left in 1897 and re-joined in 1914. Unfortunately Charles was killed - Royal Warwickshire Regiment Service Nos 950 and 6266. Died Jul 1917.

Warwick War Memorial Site
Charles was one of seven children born to Joseph and Elizabeth Bench in the Saltisford area of Warwick – 6 boys and 1 girl. Their father died in 1905.

There were four brothers from the Bench family who were killed in World War I – the largest loss for any family in Warwick.

Sometime after the 1911 census, Eliza moved to 93 Broad Street, Coventry, and it was there that she received the terrible news of the deaths of her four sons, three of them within seven months of each other in 1917.

Extract from letter from his commanding officer read:
He met his death like the very gallant soldier he was whilst manning the parapet. He did not suffer and was killed almost instantaneously. Knowing of your other numerous losses, I put him in the second line this time instead of the first, it being the safer place, but as fate determined, he was our first casualty.

Charles's mother was invited to the Dedication of The War Memorial, Coventry on the 8th October, 1927, attended by Earl Haig, the Mayor of Coventry and the Bishop of Coventry. It is not known whether any representatives from Warwick were present.

Eliza was only allocated one ticket, despite her great loss, her surviving son Arthur was therefore not able to attend the service.

Eliza died in 1939, aged 81.’
-------------------------------
Have just located his Army pension record which shows his mother at Broad St Coventry but also a Ms Ethel Farrell (Farnell or as edited on another record, Avern?) Her address is given as 58 or 68 Parkes St Warwick and is named as the guardian of an illegitimate child. I don't have access to census records and am unable to verify the correct surname or who the child may be. BDM records draw a blank for Avern, and Farnell but I did find a birth for a Arthur Farrell in Warwick in 1910. The only Ethel Farrell I can find in BDM that would be of child bearing age around 1910 was from Birmingham.

I have researched the family quite a lot over the years and even contributed info to the author of a book concerning the Coventry War memorial but this latest find was quite unexpected. Can anyone shed any light on this and what may have happened to Charles's son?

The reason for the name change is that Ethel Emma Farnell married a Clement Avern in 1923. She died in 1942.

She was the daughter of a Tom and Lydia Whitehouse. She married an Arthur Farnell (Farrell) in 1909 but was a widow by 1911. By 1921 she is living with her parents and has 3 children with her (listed as Farnell) none Arthur's.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the update

I'd guess that at least one of the children may have been his, though all of them kept the name Farnell.

Charles William was born prior to Joseph & Eliza's marriage and was listed as Rowe. Not including Charles they had 8 sons and a daughter, the others dying young.

The birth record for Arthur Farnell in Warwick lists mmn as Whitehouse. It woud be interesting to see the Father's name on the certificate.
1700328713996.png

Last edited:
Following on from the birth reg there is also a death reg in Warwick for an Arthur Farnell aged 0
1700328883716.png

Plus, possibly her husband
1700328922121.png
That fits with the age on the marriage cert of Ethel to Arthur - she was 20 and he was 39

Last edited:
1700329341857.png
1700329307861.png
1700329283302.png
These must be the 3 who are on the 1921 census with Ethel

Edgar is listed with Ethel and Clement on the 1939 reg.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I assumed it was one (if not all) of those 3 and that Arthur was Arthur's.
Great minds. I was just typing a similar sentence when your message popped in :D

I am not sure where the idea the child was male came from. On the transcript it just says "child".

• Appreciate
Not really connected but interesting there was an earlier child.
Registered as Arthur Farnell Whitehouse born Oct quarter 1908 and died Mar quarter 1909. I only found out because the Warwick Cemetery slip for the Arthur born and died 1910 had a note at the top
1700331878247.png

Thanks. Ive been doing some more research based on MWS response and have found 3 children with name Farnell and mother Whitehouse. Ethel 1912, Francis 1915, and Edgar 1918. On one of the pension records it quotes 2 service numbers 960 and 6266, the former is for Charles's brother Ernest Wm. he died in Sept 1915, and Charles Died July 1917. Wondering if they had different fathers but from same family as all of these children were born after Arthur Farnell?

• Appreciate
Thanks. Ive been doing some more research based on MWS response and have found 3 children with name Farnell and mother Whitehouse. Ethel 1912, Francis 1915, and Edgar 1918. On one of the pension records it quotes 2 service numbers 960 and 6266, the former is for Charles's brother Ernest Wm. he died in Sept 1915, and Charles Died July 1917. Wondering if they had different fathers but from same family as all of these children were born after Arthur Farnell?

Their births listed in post #8.
Did you read the earlier post showing baby Arthur died in 1910 - just 10 weeks old?

So those who died in the war were...

Charles William - 1917
Thomas - 1917
Ernest William - 1915
Joseph - 1917

...and the service numbers for Charles & Ernest are listed in regards 2 Farnell children?

There were 2 sons born that died young, Ernest William it would seem named for them...

Ernest 1885 - 1886
William 1887 - 1888

And then you said in your op her surviving son, Arthur b1883. Did you mean who fought in the war because weren't these 2 still alive...

Roger 1894 - 1965
Harry Noel 1900 - 1970

I was aware that four sons were killed and that another may have been called up to join the flying corps but didn't see active service, possibly Harry?

As far as the Farnell children were concerned, I came across a Dependants Pensions record that shows two dependant children and quotes two service Nos 950 and 6266 for Ernest and Charles. There were 3 Farnell Children Ethel Bn Qtr 1912, Francis Bn Qtr Sept 1915 and Edgar Bn Qtr Mar 1918.

As Ernest Died Sept 1915 and Charles died July 1917, I'm wondering if there is a paternity issue where Charles could have been the father of child 2 and possibly child 3, who wouldn't have qualified on the pension record?

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
I would say dna of any descendants could resolve it but, as I mentioned, Charles was registered as Rowe, so not sure if that just means he was born before the marriage or something else.

Arthur Farnell also appears to have served, so I wonder if he did with any of the Bench brothers.

Not relevant but he was also married previously and his son from that marriage, Thomas William, seems to have lied about his age to enlist and was killed in 1916, aged just 17.

I would say dna of any descendants could resolve it but, as I mentioned, Charles was registered as Rowe, so not sure if that just means he was born before the marriage or something else.

Arthur Farnell also appears to have served, so I wonder if he did with any of the Bench brothers.

Not relevant but he was also married previously and his son from that marriage, Thomas William, seems to have lied about his age to enlist and was killed in 1916, aged just 17.
I think pjmburns ruled Arthur out as she said that Ethell Farnell had a child - Bn 1908, died 1909, mother Whitehouse. and was widowed in 1911.

Charles's mother was Rowe and I seem to think that I've seen on a census record that she was born in Malta. Not sure of how that came about but I cant check as most of my research data was lost when my SSD hard drive failed last month!

Not sure from your comment who's son Thomas William is supposed to be?

Last edited:
I think pjmburns ruled Arthur out as she said that Ethell Farnell had a child - Bn 1908, died 1909, mother Whitehouse. and was widowed in 1911.

Charles's mother was Rowe and I seem to think that I've seen on a census record that she was born in Malta. Not sure of how that came about but I cant check as most of my research data was lost when my SSD hard drive failed last month!

Not sure from your comment who's son Thomas William is supposed to be?

Edith had 2 sons called Arthur both died young.

Arthur Farnell Whitehouse born 1908 and died 1909 before her marriage to Arthur Farnell but gven the name I would imagine his son.
and Arthur Farnell - this one born and died in 1910 is most likely the son of her husband Arthur Farnell. (The other may be as well).

I think the child/children on the pension record have to be one or more of those listed earlier Ethel, Francis and Edgar. Birth certs might help identify a Father. All 3 birth certs are available as digital images so cost £2.50 each and are available after payment has been made.

Thomas William is Arthur Farnell's son I think

Last edited:
Sorry. Arthur Farnell the first husband of Ethel Whitehouse served in the army, he has a pension record dated 1900, so I was speculating if he may have knew one of the Bench brothers who enlisted in the 1890s.

Thomas William was the son of Arthur from his first marriage which I just mentioned as a bit of interest.

Eliza Rowe is listed as being born in Gibraltar which implies she may have been the daughter of a soldier.

1911 census gives Eliza Bench's place of birth as Gibralter

1861 census has her with her parents and her Father William is listed as a staff sergeant.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Back