• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help - how do I identify a Parsish church

G

GillB

Hi

I am trying to track down baptism records and so first I need to identify the relevant Parish Church so I can get the right records out at the library !

Is there a street index anywhere online that I can look up that will tell me what C of E church I need ? I am looking 2 addresses in Ladywood.

Hi GillB

I borrowed this from the church website, I could be what you are looking for.

Phil

St John’s and St Peter’s is the Parish Church of Ladywood.

St. John’s was built 1852-1854 originating from a Mission to the area from St Martin’s in the Bullring.

The site for the new church was Ladywood Green, a 17th century Great Plague burial ground. ‘Ladywood’ itself is of unknown origin except that the nearby Perrot’s Folly dating from the mid-18th century was a viewpoint of hunting grounds and possibly the “ladies’ wood”!

St Peter’s, Spring Hill, built in 1901 was closed as an Anglican church in 2001 when it was combined with St John’s to make one new, larger parish.

hi phil
yes i could have told you as i lived virtualy next door to it
across the rd and up spring hill passage
its a very nice church and its always been kept ingood condition alot of my friends have had there funeral services there
but quite surprizeing phil it was good to give the history
of the churches because not many people knew that it was named of two churches
i can not remember the last cannon there
it was during the sixties . but he did like a tot
he always came into the grotto pub ,he always said it was the fire side he came in for but always had a glass in his hand
but he done alot for the locals .he was a very nice guy
i beleive it is now an angliacan patrons whom use it
or the gospel group
best wishes astonian ;;;

If you go to the help desk on the 5th floor and ask for the " [FONT=&quot]Diocese Book"
you can look up the name of the road/street you are researching, next to the road there will be a number, look up that number in the index and it will give you the parish church, two things, there are two [/FONT]" [FONT=&quot]Diocese Books" an early one and a more up to date book depending upon the time period you are researching, the second thing, and more important is that some families did not necessarily use their local parish church for children's baptisms so be prepared to caste your net further afield if at first you do not succeed.

[/FONT]

One more question if I can, did the Church of England allow baptisms of illegitimate children as a general rule or did it depend on the local vicar ?

I have tried various searches on the forum but can't find the answer.

Yes, usually by putting, base born, illegitimate or single woman by or next to the parents name.

Here is an example from a record in Leicestershire

Sarah Base born daughter of Sarah BENT born at Naptoft Baptized here March 21

Back