• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Helo Deciphering please

smtr

master brummie
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help deciphering a word on the attached army records please?

It's the word alongside the brothers names.

Thanks for any suggestions:)

Suzanne

Thanks for the reply. No the surname is Rogers and the mother's name is clearly written on the other side of the page with a definite R. The word I can't make out looks like it might begin with a G?

thanks
Suzanne

Also the brackets seem to only relate to the first 5 brothers and not the last?

Hi Postie, thanks for reply. Don't think it is grandmother. All the brothers listed plus the one the records are for are the sons of Harriet Rogers who is named clearly on the record. it's got me stumped!!

Thanks
Suzanne

Hi Postie, thanks for reply. Don't think it is grandmother. All the brothers listed plus the one the records are for are the sons of Harriet Rogers who is named clearly on the record. it's got me stumped!!

Thanks
Suzanne
I think it begins with a J - if you compare it to the sons names, it matches and could it be Hughs? May be the signature of the officer recording next of kin?
Sue

Thanks all for the suggestions:)
I wonder would it help if I show you the whole page?

Thanks again
Suzanne

I thought ''younger''. Are these brothers younger than the one named, it would save writing the dates of birth down. Just a thought.
Lynne.

Hi Lynne

Yes, all the brothers are younger. In fact they are listed in order of age but that doesn't explain why the youngest brother, Thomas, isn't included in the brackets?

Thanks
Suzanne

...that doesn't explain why the youngest brother, Thomas, isn't included in the brackets....

Just a careless, hurried squiggle by the clerk in all probablilty. I don't feel its accuracy should be regarded as too significant. And I suspect that the fact of next-of-kin being older or younger siblings could be a relevant fact on a form like this.

Chris

Just a careless, hurried squiggle by the clerk in all probablilty. I don't feel its accuracy should be regarded as too significant. And I suspect that the fact of next-of-kin being older or younger siblings could be a relevant fact on a form like this.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris. You may well be correct. The documents I have are from his enlistment at Bham in 1901 in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. By the 1st world war he was a sergeant in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infanty, 8th Batt. I have his medal card but no service papers for WW1. If he was a sergeant would that explain why his records aren't online? Would they be at Kew? or is it another case of fire damage from WW2?

Thanks very much
Suzanne

Back