• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heath Street, Winson Green

Jeeze625

proper brummie kid
Hey there,

Would anyone know the locations of 211, 200 and 4bk/202 Heath Street in Winson Green?

I'm really not sure if these houses would have been situated in 'the triangle' towards Dudley Road end, or further north of the street towards Tudor St/Winson St. I'd be looking for the period around the early 1900's.

Many thanks for your offerings,

Lee

Buildings marked as requested, , plus albion vaults pub (187) , and post office (245) which I used to get bearings Cannot tell which is no 4 back 202, so have marked all in green.
No 202 & 211 in blue , 200 in red

map_heath_st_c_1903_no2002C2112Cback_202.jpg

ive got this pic of heath st....mike i wonder if you could plot on your map where abouts these shops were please...i had rellies in this street in 1865 but the birth cert unfortunately does not give the number of the house...will have to check the census i think...

cheers mike..

lyn

WinsonGreenHeathRd.jpg

hi jeeze65
i am in touch daily with some one whom lived in heath street down by the albion and tudor street
i have my own intution on this from memory but i will phone my friend this morning and asked her what nuber she lived at i can picture the scene now also had a family of friend s whom lived on the corner by the mission hall also our friend mossy was a very close friend ofmine as well and he used to go this house on the cornerof heath street next to the shops he may recall our friend mickys house number ;
i will come back as soon as i have spoken to my friend this morning early if she his up ;i will keep you posted ; astonian ;;

hi my dear friend lived at number 200 heath street winson green just passing the albion
and the shops on the corner of tudor street was a couple of the shops and the first one on the corner was jacksond the bathroom and hardware builders
which was the corner of the street and heath street the old post office later became a heath street association for there local residents
way back in time the mc canns ran the albion pub opersite this shop was nosey parker as we called him a rag and bone man and old nobby cash and his family
abit further down on the same side was the moult family just before the old swimming and batheing baths there house and yard was next to it
mr moult was also a rag and bone man ;in general lower end of heath street was a poor community ; in those days
old nobby done welll with wheeling and dealing in later years he bought the old pawn shop on ickneld port rd and a seconddealership of second hand good in the eightys
sadly nobby died afew years back now but he and his family was well known and liked around the area ;
incidently saraha nash and big ronnie norman as her partner some one asked about the nash family earlyier today from chiswell rd used to drink in the shakespear
on heath street doing the all night drinking along with senior mr russells ofbirmingham insurance company who i got to know very well
during the after drinking sessions there my mate was a barman there years ago until he got attacked by a mob whom waited out side the pub one night ;
best wishes astonian ;;

Back