• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heath Street, Winson Green

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
apart from the heath tavern could i have a look up please for any working mens clubs etc that were in this street. many thanks. wales.

Hi Lyn
There was The Albion pub,the Shakespear and the Queens Arms, and of course GKN who I think may have had a social club on their premises

hi postie. thanks very much. so there were in fact 4 pubs including the heath tavern in this street. dont know if you have seen it but under neighbours and streets ive posted a pic asking if anyone knows the rd/street name. on the top right hand side you can just see a sign that says smoke room and assembly room. if you get time you may want a guess at it yourself. cheers lyn

HI LYNN
Just reading The Thread On Heath Street ,Regarding The Social Clubs ,
There Was A One And Only Social Club In Heath Street During The Years I Have Known
And That At This Precicise Moment Cannot Recall The Name Of It
It Was On The Oppersite Side Of The Rd To The Main Gates Of Gkn In Heath Street
And About 400 Yards FromThe Gates Walking Back To Winson Green , And It Was A Members Club ,Then In The Late Sixties Early Seventies It Was Sold To A Forien Guy ,
And The Name Changed , And That Was The Only Social Club On Heath Street , And Gkn Had A Sports And Social Club On Site And They Had A Boxing Club ,
And The Guy WhomRan It And Trained Them Was A Big Irish Fellow By The Name Of Big Jackie Burns Whom I Believe Did Hold Some Tittles Along With The McGroatie Brothers And They Ran Gkn Club , Regarding The New Name Of The Club I Think One Of Our Members Said He Used To Use This Club I Have Mentioned And This Club Was Knew Prior To Him Using It That I Do Know The CLUB wAS tHERE fOR yEARS
For The Local Residents So I Had A Little Smile To Myself When He Said FromThe Sixties Because I Knew Of The Old Club Before Then And ThePrevious Owners ,
I Know Winson Green Very Well It Was My Territory ,FromOne End To The Other ,
There Was One Pub On Every Corner Down Heath St, And In Between There Was ACouple From OneEnd Of Heath Street To The Very Top End Of Heath Street
And To My Recollection There Would Have Been Five ,
Have A Nice Day Lynn Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Astonian,do you remember the Heath Street Tavern,it was run by a bloke named Sid,don't remember his surname.We used to call it the Tatters Arms because it was used a lot by the local tatters as they couldn't get their beer on the strap anywhere else.Towards the end,just before it was demolished,Sid couldn't get any beer from the brewery because he never paid them.If he had any money in the till he used to go straight to the bookies over the road and put his bets on with it.The funny thing I do remember well is when he had no beer and if he had any customers he used to take the money and go over the road to the Queen's and buy it there and carry it back over the road.I know this because he did it to me more than once.BobS.:D

I am particularly interested in the Heath Street Tavern, which I think was around number 91 Heath Street, as the landlord around the 1850/1870's was an ancestor of mine William Powis.
Can anyone give me any information this far back?
or any photos?

Russell Powis

hi bob
yes i most certainly remember the heath taveren and its characters by golly in those there was a hell of alot of them
and it was not just the taters he gave the strap to there was plenty of the locals whom was just as bad
thats why it was always a fullhouse most nights of the week
but as you said quite correctly half the bounders either dodge him
or come up with excuses and you could drink all hours in
the back room saying that i spent many a nights in the shakespear
or the lee bridge till morning ,but i was young in those days
[ youngish ] i certainly could tell you some of the well known tatters around in those days
i would say the heath must have been one of the first built in heath st and its had some gathers i will speak with my sister inlaw
this week end she was a friend of the of the family she wil remember the surname and i will come back to you onthis one
best wishes astonian ;;;

Russell
The Heath St Tavern was no 91 up to some time between 1884 and 1888, when the street was renumbered and the tavern became no 309. William Powis also left sometime between those years; being replaced by William Butler. He is listed as licensee 1872 -1884, but in 1868 the place (not actually named in this directory, just described as a beer retailer) was run by Mrs Sarah Powis. In 1862 it is William again (assuming it is the same William) described as beerseller.
Mike

Hi bob
i most certainly remember the tatters arms for the most reason ;it openend at five oclock ;
and it was the very first pub i ever had a pint of beer in my entire life and started drinking there with a couple of old pals for
many a year as i was only 15 years old i had my first drop of mild but afew years later i got converted to bitter and never drank mild again in my life those were the days my friend
does any body recall the parkes the tatters of heath stret or malties next to the baths
astonian;

My Granddad used to do tatting he used to hire the barrow from parks 75. per day in 1970 we used to live in Winsor street. Dad used to work at GKN Heath Street

Back