• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heath St - Dudley Road End

Heath Street

master brummie
Have just found this site - wonderful - it brings back many memories. My family Jack (Raymond) and Florence (Flo) Osborne lived at - I think - 2/28 Heath Street and Granny at 2/26, approx 1950's. I left the area when 11 years of age, 12 years ago decided to visit and used the canal walk to get there - what a SHOCK when arriving - rough bare earth - nothing to be seen. Standing there I remember my dad in the Street, white slacks, white v necked jumper, whistle around his neck - Coronation Day organizing the games, tables full of food, lots of laughter, family and friends around. In our memories time stands still - as I also remember the damp house, so little room, wash-house a walk up a yard, inadequate kitchen facilities, no bathroom - just a tin bath by fire - how did our Mums manage. Would love to hear from anyone that lived in the area at that time - Val

welcome to the forum val.

in 1955 electoral rolls john r osborne and florence osborne were living 1 back 28 heath street. at 2 back 26 were frank t broadfield and ivy j broadfield

Hi Val and welcome to the forum. I don't know much about Heath St except that my father had a good friend who lived there in the 50's. The only other connection I had was when I use to walk from hockley to my nan's who lived in Barford Rd, I always looked in the Lee Bridge Tavern first, usually she would be there sitting just to the left in the corner. I can picture her there now. Always had a packet of crisps and a glass of pop off her while I waited for her to finish. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Terry

Thanks for that Shera - just looked at the paperwork for my family tree (just started but not getting on very well) that Matilda Osborne possibly died in 1955 aged 90, perhaps the Broadfields moved in then, strange but I can't remember them. How does one get to look at electoral rolls. Val

Hi Terry, thanks for the reply - you have got my brain cells going - I have just remembered going Ice Skating at the Rink at the Bottom of Dudley Road - I think - and shopping on Dudley Road with my mum - when sugar, tea etc was sold loose in blue bags with the tops folded down? Val

Thanks for that Shera - just looked at the paperwork for my family tree (just started but not getting on very well) that Matilda Osborne possibly died in 1955 aged 90, perhaps the Broadfields moved in then, strange but I can't remember them. How does one get to look at electoral rolls. Val

to view the electoral rolls you have to pay credits or have a subscription for "midlands historical data"

what was the name of your granny? i will look for her

Thats very kind - Matilda Osborne - I dont know if her husband George ever lived there with her, I have so little information as there is no-one alive to help with information. Val

you were correct with 2 back 26 heath street for matilda osborne. she was there in 1950 but not in 1955

in 1939 george james and matilda osborne 2 back 30 heath st.
in 1945 george james and matilda osborne 2 back 28 heath st.
then in 1950 just matilda at 2 back 26 heath st.

Shera - you are amazing - I've spent weeks and weeks and weeks searching and you pop-up with the answers instantly - many thanks. I dont think I am searching in the right places. I am sure I'll be back with more problems - Val

Is the "midlands historical data" connected with this site, sorry to seem so dense but I'm sure to get my head around this in due course - regards Val

no midlands historical data isnt connected to this site but if you google it you will see what they have to offer. you can pay for credits to search or a subscription but a few of us on here have access and always willing to help if possible

Many thanks - I have been on many Family Research sites and this one (which I found by accident) has been the most informative and helpful - Val

Back