• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harborne Mill

Greenways6

knowlegable brummie
Is there anything on Harborne Mill on this site? I have seen quite a lot of interesting discussion on mills, but not Harborne. I am particularly interested in the place after 1901 when it was used as a Steelmill by Thomas MILLINGTON & Co. for making steel pens.

The reason I am asking is that I believe a relative of mine worked there before emigrating to Canada around 1906. On the 1901 Census he is shown as a Farm Labourer residing in Tennal Road, Harborne, but cousins in Canada are adamant that he also worked at a Steelworks. This threw me until I came across a reference to Harborne Steelmill.

If anyone can come up with a better explanation than this I would like to hear it (before shooting my mouth off to the Canadians).

See map. the mill is just above the pool, the steelworks is to the right and silghtly lower. This is a 1932 map and there is a rip in it

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't got much on Harbourne Mill, just a little story from 1750 and then the census for Joseph Davis...you would have to give me a few days to see if I have anything in my unwritten notes. The only other thing that I have is that the Davis also owned Lifford Hall Rubber Mill in 1841.

Thought there might be something in "Harborne. A History" by Edward Chitham, but there isn't much. Some mentions of it as a boundary marker, a picture of what remains on the site (2004) and the following snippets:
Originally a corn mill, called Eacocks mill for a while. By 1767 it was involved in making steel parts. In late 1800s thomas Millington used the premises to make steel plate and lived at Dore House in Lordswood Road (He came from Dore near Sheffield) By early 1900s it was millington's steel conversions.

Mike

Thanks mike-g for the map and locations.

Yes, mikejee I would have thought there would have been more in Edward Chitham's book too, but thanks for the in-put.

Loisand, have just read "Nailmakers of Harborne" and this intriguing article then begs the question did my relly commute into Birmingham to work at a Steelworks, or stay local and work at Harborne Steelmill.

Back