• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth During the 50's and 60's

• Thread starter Thread starter Tammy71
  • Start date Start date
T

Tammy71

Hi I am conducting some research at university about social aspects of Handsworth during the 1950's and 1960's. I have conducted a oral interview with a women who was born and grew up on Alfred Street. If any one else grew up around Alfred Street, Watville Road, Downing Street and or Charles Street or local vicinity i would be so greatful if your would like to share any of your childhood memories.
Do you remember Rolfe Street Baths - Slipper Baths
Wattville Road School
Bathems
Charabanc (Sharabang outings)
Back to Backs in Handsworth.
I will be etenally Greatful to anyone who may help
Thank You
Tammy

Hiya Tammy, probably too late now,but I was born in 1960 and grew up in Wattville road until around 1968. I attended Wattville primary school, and as my father worked for 'The Carriageworks' we had house rented off them at the lower end of Wattville road opposite a small chapel. The house was a two up two down with a brewhouse/kitchen across the yard, no bathroom, and a toilet at the top of the garden with no electric light.The only rear access was an entry shared by ours and four other houses, whose occupants walked past our rear window to access their rear doors!
I can recall as a child standing on our doorstep watching the fire that destroyed the Raleigh cycle firm in Mornington road. I must have been very young, but seem to recall a story that a fireman sadly lost his life when a wall collapsed on him?( not verified.) My late father used Rolfe street baths as a child, and my memories of Rolfe street, are of going to Welch's store store at Christmas to see Santa upstairs in his grotto. There was also a time when I was allowed to watch steam trains from the bridge on what I presume to have been Handsworth junction, from the shed roof of my parents friends who had a house in Cross street (?) off or very near to Alfred street? Regards.

Back