• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Handsworth cycle factory, 1910's

Kimbaby57

Brummie babby
Hello! Does anyone here know the name of any "cycle" factories (bicycle or motorcycle) in Handsworth?

I am trying to figure out where a relative worked in 1915, while living in Handsworth at 14 Elmurst Road.

He is listed in the 1911 census as a "Packing House Dealer" on own account. Then in 1913, on his daughter's marriage license as a "cycle worker," in 1914 on his WW1 enlistment as a "cycle worker," and in the 1921 census (in Acocks Green) as a "cycle repairer" at CWS in Tyseley.

So my assumption is that he worked in some aspect of the cycle manufacturing business. Were there any in Handsworth?

Thank you!!!

Kim

thread moved from forum rules to the correct section of the forum which is factories could we please advise members to check the various sections we have before starting a new thread...thank you

Hello! Does anyone here know the name of any "cycle" factories (bicycle or motorcycle) in Handsworth?

I am trying to figure out where a relative worked in 1915, while living in Handsworth at 14 Elmurst Road.

He is listed in the 1911 census as a "Packing House Dealer" on own account. Then in 1913, on his daughter's marriage license as a "cycle worker," in 1914 on his WW1 enlistment as a "cycle worker," and in the 1921 census (in Acocks Green) as a "cycle repairer" at CWS in Tyseley.

So my assumption is that he worked in some aspect of the cycle manufacturing business. Were there any in Handsworth?

Thank you!!!

Kim

Graces Guide lists the Handsworth Cycle & Motor Manufacturing Co. in Princip Street in 1897 and also the Handsworth Cycle Co. at the same date and location - probably the same company. It also showed this advert but sadly no further information about the factory.

1716327097660.jpeg

It may be a possibilty or perhaps he was already working at the CWS in Tyseley?

Princip Street was, is, in Birmingham Centre close to the canal

I suspect those living in Handsworth had connection with or worked nearby.

However, I do recall a factory making Cycles for Triang on Forge Lane on the boundary with West Bromwich. Does any body recall that factory?

Last edited:
Back