• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GWR land purchases 1

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not Birmingham, but not very far away. I recently acquired an old map, c1913, showing GWR purchases in Smethwick and Bilston. It was not clear what the purchases were for and, in the Smethwick case, the peculiar dog leg shape, so investigated.

GWR land buys c 1913 smethwickA.jpg
For those like me , who pick up on peculiarities, the missing T in "Western " on the heading is because I had to scan it in several parts, and that bit got missed.

Most large scale maps of that period used for planning relied on the 1st edition 1:500) OS map from this area the 1880s. This certainly seems to be true in this case. Although that scale map is not available to us (and, very irritatingly, the one immediately to the left of this one is on the NLS database) the smaller scale map from 1887 is available, and shows Sandwell Park colliery immediately off to the right, with a rail connection , a very small part of which is shown on my map. this however is shown as a siding or tramway, and do not seem to be directly connected to the main line.
1887.jpg

the 1902 map is similar.

1902.jpg

But on the 1913 map , the lines in the colliery are marked in a similar way to the main line and appear to connect.

1913.jpg

Also slightly indicated on the 1902 map, but clearly on the 1913 map, it seems that the reason for the dogleg on my map is because this was an access track to the area concerned, with banks either side.
the 1937 map shows the land near the track k on my map as part of the railway land, presumably for signalling purposes needed for the new connection of the colliery to the main line.

1937.jpg

By 1957, the sidings are still there, but the mine is disused and soon to be built over

1957.jpg

ScreenHunter 487.jpg

Last edited:
Not Birmingham, but not very far away. I recently acquired an old map, c1913, showing GWR purchases in Smethwick and Bilston. It was not clear what the purchases were for and, in the Smethwick case, the peculiar dog leg shape, so investigated.

View attachment 194602
For those like me , who pick up on peculiarities, the missing T in "Western " on the heading is because I had to scan it in several parts, and that bit got missed.

Most large scale maps of that period used for planning relied on the 1st edition 1:500) OS map from this area the 1880s. This certainly seems to be true in this case. Although that scale map is not available to us (and, very irritatingly, the one immediately to the left of this one is on the NLS database) the smaller scale map from 1887 is available, and shows Sandwell Park colliery immediately off to the right, with a rail connection , a very small part of which is shown on my map. this however is shown as a siding or tramway, and do not seem to be directly connected to the main line.
View attachment 194603

the 1902 map is similar.

View attachment 194605

But on the 1913 map , the lines in the colliery are marked in a similar way to the main line and appear to connect.

View attachment 194606

Also slightly indicated on the 1902 map, but clearly on the 1913 map, it seems that the reason for the dogleg on my map is because this was an access track to the area concerned, with banks either side.
the 1937 map shows the land near the track k on my map as part of the railway land, presumably for signalling purposes needed for the new connection of the colliery to the main line.

View attachment 194607

By 1957, the sidings are still there, but the mine is disused and soon to be built over

View attachment 194608

View attachment 194609
Wonderful set of progressive drawings/documents showing the development of the area! Great work….

The second map was at Bilston. om the same sheet , so at the same period of time.

GWR land buys c 1913 bilstonA.jpg

The map from 1884 does have a signal post (S.P) close to Chapel street in the area of interest.

bilston 1884.jpg

By 1913 there was also a signal post at the other end of that land strip, presumably after the land had been purchased.

bilston 1913.jpg

But these have disappeared by 1864. Possibly traditional signals have been replaced by lights?

bilston 1964.jpg

Mike - for the Smethwick maps - is the rail fork on the right the site of Hawthorns Halt Station - this would not appear until the 1930's as that is when it opened?

The site of the colliery can be seen in this old photo taken from the Hawthorns Halt I think - it is in the middle of the line split (left to Stourbridge, right to Wolverhampton):- 1725349737580.png

On these photos I took in the late 1970s the colliery would have been on the right:-
1725349917995.png
1725349937955.png

These days the site is like this:-
1725350084476.png
1725350139770.png

The site of the colliery can be seen in this old photo taken from the Hawthorns Halt I think - it is in the middle of the line split (left to Stourbridge, right to Wolverhampton):- View attachment 194638

On these photos I took in the late 1970s the colliery would have been on the right:-
View attachment 194639
View attachment 194640

These days the site is like this:-
View attachment 194641
View attachment 194642
Great photos! Just think about laying all that track manually back in the day.

Back