• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gustavus Vassa / Olaudah Equiano - B/Ham connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan

master brummie
Th City Council site https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/equiano & Art Gallery https://www.equiano.org/exhibitions.html tells me that Olaudah Equiano (also referred to as Gustavus Vassa) was born in Eboe Nigeria, stolen from his parents and sold into slavery. He eventually obtained his freedom and was instrumental in encouraging the white campaigners such as Granville Sharp to launch a national campaign against the slave trade. He wrote his autobiography (Life of Gustavas Vassa) in 1789 which provides an account of the cruelty inflicted. Thousands of copies of this book were sold and was the main anti-slavery text during the period of the significant anti-slavery movement.

Equiano's visit to Birmingham contributed to the anti-slavery campaign in the City.

I would be interested to know more about his Birmingham connections, where did he stay, what did he do and when?

He published the following in Aris's Birmingham Gazette in 1790. The list of names https://www.search.revolutionarypla...s=&direction=&pointer=245&text=0&resource=928 or https://www.search.connectinghistor...records=&direction=&pointer=2&text=0&offset=0 not only represent Equiano’s success as an author, they also give us an insight into eighteenth century Birmingham society. Who bought the narrative in Birmingham ? Why were they interested in Equiano’s life? What institutions, churches, businesses were they involved in? From what class, gender or racial background? We know that some of his subscribers, such as ‘Joseph Priestley’ and ‘Matthew Boulton’ belonged to what was known as ‘The Lunar Society’- an important group of local inventors, scientists and entrepreneurs that also included the steam engine pioneer, James Watt. But what about the rest of the names of Equiano’s subscriber list? Who, for instance, was John Biddle? Mrs Wiggin? James Gottington? Edward Palmer? The subscriber list published in the Aris contains over sixty names; and many of these remain obscure. Anyone fancy doing some lookups?

28 June 1790

To the Printer of the Birmingham Gazette.

June 19, 1790

SIR,
HAVING received great Marks of Kindness from the under-mentioned Gentlemen of this Town, who have subscribed to my Narrative : particularly from Mess. Charles and Simpson Lloyd, and Families, and Dr. Gilby

Dr. Johnstone
John Taylor, Esq.
Sam. Garbett, Esq.
Sam. Galton Esq.
Wm. Russell, Esq.
Rev. Dr. Priestley
Rev. Mr. Riland
Rev. Mr. Pearce
Rev. Mr. Bass
Mess. John Hammonds
James Osborn
William Sprigg
John Freer, jun.
S. Ryland
John Harwood
Thomas King
Wm. Humphreys
G. Humphreys
Thomas Colemore
Samuel Colemore
William Smith
Samuel Ford
Peter Capper
Joseph Randell
Joseph Gibbons
Thomas Robinson
Thomas Laurence
John Ward
Thomas Price
James Bingham
John Jukes

Matt. Boulton, Esq.
Edward Palmer, Esq.
Mess. Henry Perkins
George Simcox
Thomas Green
Thomas Parkes
Sam. Pemberton
John Lee
John Dickinson
Thomas Ketland
Richard Gibbs
James Bedford
William Medley
William Hicks
John Cope
Richard Cope
John Robbins
Mess. Cockle
Edward Webb
Joseph Rabone
Samuel Baker
William Hunt
Mrs. Wiggin
William Cope
John Biddle
Thomas Francis
William Reynolds
Joseph Cotterell
James Goddington
Benjamin Freeth
John Lowe, jun.

I beg you, to suffer me, thus publicly to express my grateful Acknowledgments to them for their Favours, and for the Fellow-feeling they have discovered for my very poor and much oppressed Countrymen; these Acts of Kindness and Hospitality, have filled me with a longing Desire to see these worthy Friends on my own Estate in Africa, where the richest Produce of it should be devoted to their Entertainment; they should there partake of the luxuriant Pine-apples, and the well flavoured virgin Palm-wine; and to heighten the Bliss I would burn a certain Kind of Tree, that would afford us a Light as clear and brilliant as the Virtues of my Guests.
I am Sir, your humble Servant,
GUSTAVUS VASA, the African.
The Narratives are Sold by the Author, at Mr. Bliss’, Grocer, Aston-street, and by T. Pearson, and T. Wood, Booksellers, in High-street, Birmingham, at 6s. a Copy, and 4s. 6d. to those who take six Copies.

If you have never read his autobiography, it is a cracker and well worth it

Ref:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaudah_Equiano
* The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African. Written by Himself. Vol. I.
* The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African. Written by Himself. Vol. II.
* Have the above read to you https://librivox.org/the-interesting-narrative-of-the-life-of-olaudah-equiano-by-olaudah-equiano/

According to Jenny Uglows book in “The Lunar Society” , in Birmingham as a whole, even though not directly concerned with the slave trade, there was much opposition to emancipation, due to what they perceived as a reliance on the African trade to sell many items which would not be saleable in other markets (missionary pots ?). Galton, Boulton & Priestley joined the deputation to greet Equiano in 1789. Boulton however was similar to our present politicians and only a few years before had happily dined and conversed with a number of slave owners who wished to purchase a steam engine. Included amongst them was “the notorious Pennant”. A year after the visit of equiano Boulton & Watt were negotiating with a slave trader called John Dawson. From this it seems as if some , at least, of those thanked were probably somewhat two-faced.
mike

Looking at those on the list. Have looked in 1777 and 1815 directories. In some cases (usually 1815) there are possibly several people it could be . Where it is an address & no occupation it is the private address;

There are several Wiggins (male) in 1777 and one (male ) in 1815, but no female Wiggins listed

1777 Freeth, Benjamin gimblet & bit maker, bordesley
Lowe, John, schoolmaster, Bull Ring (this is probably senior rather than junior)
Cotterell, Joseph. 6 New-Market row
Francis, Thomas, knife blade maker, 30 Worcester St.
Hunt William, buttonmaker 1 lichfield St
Baker Samuel, turner, 107 High Town
1815 Goddington, James, Moseley Road
Goddington and Marshall, brass and iron founders,Bradford-street, Deritend
Freeth and Co. gimblet, bit, saddlers' tools & and steel makers, Bordesley
Lowe John, King Alfred's Place
Lowe John, bookseller and music warehouse, Union-st.
Lowe John, attorney, Ravenhurst, Bordesley
Cottrell Joseph, Gosta Green
Cottrell J. J, brass founders, Great Charles-street
Francis Thomas, Hagley Row
Francis Thomas, victualler, New John-St
Reynolds William, engraver and victualler* Coleshill street
Biddle John, farrier and shoeing smith, Moor-street
Biddle John, Islington Row
Biddle John, Birmingham Heath
Cope William. file cutter, Church-street
Hunt William Hockley
Hunt William, dealer in corn, hay, straw, &c. Paradise St
Hunt William and Josiah, japanners, Edmund-street
Hunt William , paper warehouse, Paradise-street
Baker Samuel, ivory and hard wood turner, Bull Ring
Will look at others later
Mike

Thanks Mike, an excellent start, and such an interesting cross-section of occupations - really does say something about Birmingham in the 1790s & those that could afford the 6 shillings for a book and the well of anti-slavery feeling I think

I have a John Biddle in my family tree who I think was probably in his early 20s in 1790 - I wonder if he is the same as the one listed and one of the three you have found in the Directories. I haven't managed to find out too much about him as yet and it would be wonderful if I can find a link. His son was Thomas Biddle Baptised in St Martin's in 1805 To Thomas & Mary Biddle (don't know much about him either!)

Aidan, thanks for leading us to the e-text of this fascinating autobiography! The Birmingham connection is intriguing. The imprint of the first edition is informative (but sadly not about Brum):
London: Printed for and sold by the author, No 10, Union Street, Middlesex Hospital; sold also by Mr Johnson, St. Paul's Church-Yard; Mr Murray, Fleet-street; Messrs Robson and Clark, Bond-street; Mr Davis, opposite Gray's Inn, Holborn; Messrs Shepperson and Reynolds, and Mr Jackson, Oxford-street; Mr Lackington, Chiswell-street; Mr Mathews, Strand; Mr Murray, Prince's Street, Soho; Messrs Taylor and Co, South Arch, Royal Exchange; Mr Button, Newington-Causeway; Mr Parsons, Paternoster-Row; and may be had of all the booksellers in Town and Country.​
The publication date is 1789, as the dedication is dated 24 March 1789. (Thanks to COPAC for this information.)

I am intrigued by Olaudah Equiano's pseudonym "Gustavus Vassa". There was a 16th century king of Sweden named Gustav Vasa (reigned 1532-1560), who was known as the "Father of Sweden" for liberating that country from Danish control. Equiano's Wikipedia biography states: "On arrival [in Virginia], he was bought by Michael Pascal, a lieutenant in the Royal British Navy. Pascal decided to rename him Gustavus Vassa, a Latinised form of the name Gustav Vasa, a Swedish noble who had become Gustav I of Sweden, king in the 16th century,[citation needed]." Why name him after that particular historical figure?

Sorry for going off on a non-Brum tangent here, but I've been looking into Michael Henry Pascal (MHP), who was one of Ouladah Equiano's "owners". It is difficult to find anything about MHP that doesn't involve his relationship with Equiano! William Laird Clowes's The Royal Navy: A History From the Earliest Times to the Present (Volume III; London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co Ltd, 1898) mentions him twice:
[1] He was Commander of the fireship Aetna in Commodore Augustus Keppel's expedition against Belle Isle in 1761.
[2] He took service in the Portuguese Navy in 1762 by virtue of the British-Portuguese alliance against Spain.​
The London Gazette, which might have been expected to contain notices of his RN promotions, appears not to mention him at all. By the time of his "ownership" of Equiano, MHP was captain of a merchant ship.

Readers might like to refer to this information website here:

www.brycchancarey.comhttps://www.brycchancarey.com/equiano/htm

My own university degree study syllabus in African-Caribbean History at Birmingham and North London some years ago concentrated more on the modern 'post-colonial' era (like this week is 50 years exactly to the date of the Lumumba crisis in the Congo), but feel free anyone to bounce any ideas over!

Brycchan Carey's website is very interesting (and appears to be well researched). His "Crtitcal Biography" has this to say on the subject of Equiano's "slave name":
Pascal gave the boy the name of Gustavus Vassa. This was a rather cruel joke on Pascal's part. The original Gustavus Vassa was a sixteenth-century Swedish nobleman who had led the Swedish people into a war of independence from the Danes and as a result had become the first Swedish king of the Swedish people. He was thus seen as the man who had led the Swedes out of a sort of slavery. Pascal's renaming of Equiano was a typical act of slaveowners. By taking away the identity of the slave the owner was able to demonstrate the total control he had over his 'possession'.​

Thanks Richie & Thylacine, Brycchan Carey's site is an excellent resource and one which will undoubtedly repay detailed reading

Brycchan Carey has posted this biography (by Riva Berleant) of Birmingham worthy Joseph Sturge (1793-1859), Quaker, Chartist supporter and anti-slavery campaigner. Joseph Sturge (Cornfactor of 194 Broad Street) was elected on 26 December 1838 to Birmingham's first Town Council for St Thomas's ward, and at the first Council meeting the following day he was appointed Alderman.

Another abolitionist with Birmingham connections was Harriet Martineau (12 June 1802 - 27 June 1876), a remarkable woman who was one of the first sociologists. Brycchan Carey supplies this biography of her (again by Riva Berleant). Harriet Marineau's brother and business manager was Robert Martineau, who was Alderman for St Thomas's ward after Joseph Sturge. The Martineau family holds a special place in Birmingham's civic history, having provided no less than five Mayors and Lord Mayors (hence the 2008 "Blue Plaque" in the Council House):

Robert Martineau (19 August 1798 - 17 June 1870): Mayor 1846-1847.
Thomas Martineau (4 November 1828 - 28 July 1893): Mayor 1884-1887.
Ernest Martineau (23 February 1861 - 28 November 1951): Lord Mayor 1912-1914.
Wilfrid Martineau (11 December 1889 - 8 July 1964): Lord Mayor 1940-1941.
(Alan) Denis Martineau (5 April 1920 - 30 June 1999): Lord Mayor 1986-1987.

Harriet Martineau and her brother Robert Martineau are buried at Key Hill Cemetery in Birmingham (along with other members of the Martineau family, including their mother Elizabeth Martineau née Rankin). Harriet Martineau's Autobiography (London: Smith, Elder & Co, 1877) is available as an archive.org e-text: Volume 1; Volume 2; Volume 3.

Gorgeous calling cards which I assume must have been pasted in to the first two volumes by a close friend as I don't think they are frontispieces as such. Who would turn such a pretty face and remarkable mind away?

The autobiographies are an excellent find too - Not sure when I shall get around to read them but they are now on my list...

Yes, Aidan, there's so much to read out there (and so little time!). The world of the Birmingham anti-slavery campaigners is fascinating. I had heard of Joseph Sturge in this connection before, but not of Equiano or Martineau. Harriet Martineau wasn't based in Brum, but she spent quite a bit of time with her brother Robert (and had been a friend of his wife Jane before their marriage).

I am at the moment building my family tree, my name is Jacqueline Freer and I have traced back 5 generations (including my son, who is the main motivation, amongst others, for my desire to complete this project) to where I believe my family were settled in Birmingham before moving onto South Africa. The first of my family was to settle in the country in the early 1900s, I was born and raised South African along with my mother and her parents, and yet still trying to bridge a gap of about 100 years in order to link genealogy as far back as Edward III in the early 1300s. I am looking for any information on Freer descendants in the UK from Birmingham and prior/post that with links across England. Specifically a "Jack" Freer who married an "Olive", they were born around 1920 and as far as I understand in Birmingham, although I stand under correction. I am looking for any information, documents, photographs of their parents and grandparents on the Freer side (which were most certainly from England). Please let me know if you have anything that might help me bridge this gap in my family history and uncover some of my linage. I am missing the links in my family from the mid 1800s through to approx 1940 with the birth of my grandfather Stuart Beresford Freer (SA born) and then his daughters. I have recently begun to research more into my family name and of course the coat of arms which we have that goes with it. Reading up on the coat of arms and the history of where it comes from with the knights of old has become of great interest to me along with English history which has led me to look at how the Freer name found itself worthy of the honor. With over 1 million family names in use and only 75000 of those linked to a coat of arms I found my interest extending from that into wanting to complete my genealogy and family tree and thereby linking it to the English courts, presuming that's where the coat of arms would have been presented from and considering that my family come from England. I can trace my name back to England although I am 3rd generation South African, aged 30. I was born under my mother's married name at the time and when I fell pregnant in 2004 I decided to change my name to my mother's maiden name so to give my son a more fitting family name and myself also obviously, I will spare you the personal history that motivated the choice (haha) and would much rather focus on the more interesting stories that my blood can tell. I of course have done so much reading over the past couple of years out of interest sake but seem to be stuck at the point my family left England for South Africa. I have a gap and I am not sure I am even trying to bridge it with the right line at all to be honest, although, I figure it should all link in together at some point. I found this page to be really helpful https://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~sfreer/blaby.html. It goes into the complete history of the Freer name through the 1800 with the Royal Decent of Freer from King Edward III at which point the diagram there shows the marriage of William Leacroft Freer to Anne Marie Hickman and then it shows and goes into a fair amount of detail about their children, grand children, wives and second wives. As I am sure you have heard quite a few times before since I image it to be a common problem is bridging the gap between my information and that which is out there. However I have no information about Jack's mother and father, brothers and sisters nor do I know how we are linked as explained above to the Royal Decent of Freer from King Edward III with the marriage of William Leacroft Freer to Anne Marie Hickman. The 100 or so years missing in between are what I am trying to work out before I try and extending my research to cover the family history of that prior to William Leacroft Freer which I believe will come from European decent with mention of Vikings, France, Holland and Belgium all in the history of the name. I have various Freer links in terms of family connections throughout the mid 1800s but need to know where exactly we would fit in there. Any information at all would help and be much appreciated. I am also looking for the earliest record of the Freer coat of arms/family crest, if at all we where enlisted to take part in a the joust and where I would be able to come by those documents.

Regards and Thanks

Jacqueline Freer
jax@inrichmint.org

Jacqueline - Welcome to the forum

Hope you can find a link to John Freer of John Freer who was so enlightened and wealthy to subscribe to Equiano's book - please tell us if you do.

I am sure you will find help on this forum to help you fill some of the gaps - its a friendly bunch! You could start by typing into the search box above and you might find some helpful links

More on Birmingham abolitionist Joseph Sturge: his Wikipedia biography is very interesting, and includes pictures of his statue at Five Ways (before and after the 2006 restoration), and the blue plaque at his former home in Wheeleys Road, Edgbaston. Below is a picture of him taken from the excellent "Revolutionary Players" website.

An interesting biography, an important Birmingham hero, and an early photo on the wiki. Doesn't sound like a whole bundle of laughs to be around socially though....

Also from "Revolutionary Players":

Aris’s Birmingham Gazette (14 June 1790).

December 24,1789.
This Day is published, The Second, and corrected Edition of THE interesting NARRATIVE of the LIFE of OLAUDAH EQUIANO, or GUSTAVUS VASSA, the African. Written by himself. From the Reception this Work has met with, from above Seven Hundred Persons of all Denominations - the Author humbly Thanks his numerous Friends for past favours; and as a new Edition is now out, he most respectfully solicits the Favour and Encouragement of the candid and unprejudiced Friends of the Africans. This Work is neatly printed on a good Paper, in a Duodecimo, or Pocket Size, and comprised in two handsome Volumes. Price 6s. unbound, and 4s. 6d. if six Copies are taken. In Volume I. is given and elegant Frontispiece of the Author’s Portrait. Volume II. a Plate shewing the Manner the Author was shipwrecked in 1767. The Narrative contains the following Articles – The Author’s Observations on his Country, and the different Nations in Africa; with as Account of their Manners and Customs, Religion, Marriages, Agriculture, Buildings, &c. - His Birth - The Manner how he and his Sister were kidnapped, and of their accidentally meeting again in Africa – His Astonishment at the Sight of the Sea, the Vessel, White Men, Men on Horseback, and the various Objects he beheld on his first Arrival in England, particularly a Fall of Snow – An Account of five Years Transactions in the Wars, under the Admiral Boseawen, &c. from 1757 to the Peace in December, 1762 – Of his being immediately after sent into Slavery In the West Indies – Of the Treatment, and the cruel Scenes of punishing the Negroes – The Manner of obtaining his Freedom – The Verification of five remarkable Dreams or Visions; particularly in being shipwrecked in 1767, and picking up eleven miserable Men at Sea in 1775, &c. – The wonderful Manner of his Conversion to the Faith of Christ Jesus, and his Attempt To convert an Indian Prince – Various Actions at Sea and Land, from 1777 to the present Time. Sold by the Author, at Mr. Bliss’s, Grocer, Aston-street; T. Pearson, and M. Swinney, Printers, in High-street; and Mr. Piercy, Bull-street, Birmingham; likewise by Mr. Piercy, Printer, in Coventry.

[Aidan, there isn't much that is new here, but I thought you might be interested in the appearance of Mr Piercy of Bull Street and Mr Piercy of Coventry in this advertisement!]

Thanks. Dem Piercy's are cropping up like a rash now! Where was Bull Street in Birmingham, anyone?

[Bull Street is still there: see Google Maps.]

The "Female Society for Birmingham, West Bromwich, Wednesbury, Walsall, and their Respective Neighbourhoods, for the Relief of British Negro Slaves" was founded on 8 April 1825 by Lucy Townsend (died 1847) and Mary Lloyd (1795-1865). This was before the men-only "Birmingham Anti-Slavery Society" was established. It was known for short as the "Female Society for Birmingham", and also as the "Birmingham Ladies' Society for the Relief of Negro Slaves". It lasted, remarkably, until 1919. Here are a few links: "Connecting Histories" (which gives the founders as Sue Townsend and Lucy Thompson); "Birmingham City Council"; Clare Midgley's Women Against Slavery: the British Campaigs 1780-1870 (London: Routledge, 1992). Below is a picture from the New York Public Library "Digital Gallery" website.

The New York Public Library "Digital Gallery" is a real treasure-trove of images. For example (left to right): [1] Report of an 1836 (?) Birmingham anti-slavery meeting (sadly not quite clear enough to be readily legible); [2] a fine early print of Birmingham (date not given, but someone will be able to estimate it); [3] the Birmingham coat of arms (from a 1900s cigarette card series). Pictures [2] and [3] are off topic (sorry!), but I wanted to convey an idea of what's available.

All most interesting, thank you Thylacine. I was unaware of Birmingham's feminine lead in this area and at such an early date - more information on the "Female Society for Birmingham" 1824-1919 most welcome. Help Please....

The NYPL images are interesting too, particularly the rural scene - I would like to know when & where - help anyone?

Bull St, Birmingham - my Google Maps only picks up the one in Harborne and that only became part of Birmingham in 1891 (they sold out for a Library & cheaper rates...), so I'd imagine there was a Bull St in Town somewhere that is no more - Help anyone?

That NYPL library is most interesting - here is a lovely pic of Bull St on 2nd April 1887 (bottom-right pic - note Lewis's looming in the background) - most atmospheric and from Illustrated London News too.

That pastoral print you posted in reminiscent of the "View of Birmingham from Bordesley fields 1836" I have posted elsewhere but it is not definite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back