• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

guilford st/paddington st

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike when you have the time i wonder if you could put up a map showing the property that was on the corner of guildford st and paddington st please and also could you work out what number it was...oh the corner i am after is the first corner coming up after geach st..

many thanks mike..no rush

lyn:)

Is this what you wanted on the c1889 map Lyn. It was no 56, and in 1900 was a grocers

map_c_1889_showing_56_guildford_St.jpg

thanks mike..thats the one..i was just recalling our mom saying that she was sure that property on the corner was bombed during the war with loss of life.. mom was living only a few doors away in paddington st....just wondering if maybe it was not exactly on the corner as i cant find any deaths or casulities for no 56 on the barra site...closest on the list is 2/40 ..2/42 and no 64..i thought she said it was a chippy at the time..

thanks mike....

Last edited:
Lyn
In 1940 no 56 was a fried fish dealer , Harold Stanley Townes. Inn 1943 it is not listed , though 58, on the other corner, is still there. The c 1951 map below shows that it must have been a fairly large bomb

map_c_1951_paddington_st__guildford_st.jpg

thanks for confirming what mom told me mike...from memory mom said the whole family was killed and they found the owner of the chip shop still sitting in his chair untouched but dead...mom would have only been about 10 or 11 at the time and as you can see from this map she was living so close to that corner...moms house marked in red...the barra site must have missed this bomb hit off the list...i have a pic of the outdoor that was on the opposite corner which escaped the raid...looking at the barra site there was a major air raid on guildford st in november 1940...

thanks again mike..

lyn..x

Last edited:
I remember that bomb site very well Lyn, it was quite a big area. I played on it many a time in the mid forties. Later in the early fifties when people began to get cars it was used as a car park. One chap tinkered with a big wooden framed shooting brake. He was at work on it every night. I believe he only took it on the road once on his annual holiday.

hi mike..i thought you may recall this bomb peck....im just glad that mike was able to bare out what our mom told me...crikey mike living so close to that corner our mom..her 2 sisters and our nan were very lucky to escape it...

lyn

I actually had a nightmare about it when I was a little lad. It was so vivid that I was convinced at the time that it was real. I dreamed that some older lads had got hold of me and hung me on a washing line there. Of course, in reality, there was no washing line on the bomb peck - or was there?

dreams are strange mike...oh i eventually went down to try and find spot where the house was in paddington st where i was born..i reckon i worked it out to within a few feet and i must have walked on the spot where that bomb peck was...

lyn.

Back