• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guest family of Aston

MargeryGuest

As someone with a huge map fetish I agree wholeheartedly with your statement regarding what we can learn from looking at old maps. I'm always on the lookout for reprints of older maps and the Cassini maps are brilliant. I think this latest article by you is brilliant Peter thank you so much for posting it, I'm sure it will inspire a great many people from all areas of Birmingham who are researching for whatever reason.

I wish I had your abilities Peter I have tried many times to do overlay work with my maps to position places and put buildings into context with their surroundings from earlier or later periods. Fantastic effort, many many thanks
Hi Rod,
My cousin and I have Birmingham roots. We are Americans. We have this address that belongs to a family member from way back. The address is: High Park House, Albert Road, Aston Manor, Birmingham. Do you have any idea if this still exists? Can we visit it? Any information would be appreciated! My last name is Guest.

hi margery and welcome i am afraid that member rod is no longer with us but hopefully other members may be able to help you with your query..it may help us if you could give us the names of your family who lived at high park house and what sort of time period are you talking about...thanks

lyn

hi margery and welcome i am afraid that member rod is no longer with us but hopefully other members may be able to help you with your query..it may help us if you could give us the names of your family who lived at high park house and what sort of time period are you talking about...thanks

lyn
Hi! Thanks for the quick response! Here is one name:
Winnie Guest
High Park House
Albert Road
Aston Manor

I believe another two names are Mr. and Mrs. Henry (and Julia) Guest. We have a Christmas card dated 1899. The Guest family (including Edgar, who is somewhat famous as a poet in American) emigrated from Birmingham in the 1890s. My cousin and I are coming to Birmingham in May and are gathering addresses to find. I would LOVE to meet someone in the Guest line still in the Birmingham area.
Thank you,
Margery Guest
Grand Rapids, Michigan
USA

thanks for the info margery hopefully we can help you...when you say winnie is that short for winifred ? also do you know what year she was born ?
also would edgar be edgar albert guest born 1881 died in 1959 in michigan father was edwin and his mother julia ? also where did you get the albert road address from ? the more info you can provide the better

we do have an albert road aston but will need further research as i have not come accross high park house yet..

i may have found edgar aged 9 on the 1891 census with mother julia and his siblings as a vistor of the wayne family in the all saints area of birmingham..

lyn

Last edited:
Edwin Guest married Julia Wayne 1869

1871 census Handsworth Staffs (looks like Finch road)

Edwin Guest age 25 bookkeeper born Birmingham
Julia Guest age 22 born Nottingham
Harold E age 4

1881 Beacon Terrace Handsworth

Edwin Guest age 36 Silversmiths Clerk
Julia age 32
Harold Edgar age 14
Sydney James age 7
Florence Julia age 5
Percy Wayne age 3

Guest family in 1901, 175 Albert Road, Aston manor

Henry Guest age 51
Clara Guest age 43
Winifred 16
Geoffrey 12
Norman 3.

Henry guest married Clara Gibson in Hockley in 1879 and Edwin Guest was a witness on the marriage certificate.

Henry and Edwin were brothers the sons of Henry guest and Nancy Evans who marriedin 1834 Sedgley Staffordshire.

Winnie/Winifred would be Edgars cousin.

Last edited:
To confirm Janice:

High Park house Albert Road Aston

From directories (note, date is publication date and may refer to year before)

1873 Mrs Sarah Felton

1876 George Warburton Lewis and William Harris

1878, 1879 George Warburton Lewis is at no 175 Albert Road

Reasonable to assume that High Park house is no 175

1880- 1884 175 Albert Road is George Roden

1888 175 is Mrs Roden

1890-1895 William Bennett,

1895 , 1896 Mrs Bennett

1897 Francis Bristow

1899 - 1910 Henry Guest

1912 no 175 not listed

1913 Thomas Hugh Bird

In 1908 and 1910 Henry Guest is referred to as a printer

In 1912 Henry Guest is listed as a printer at 1,2 Priory Square

Albert Road today can bne seen at https://maps.app.goo.gl/jz7Do2r1Mhsc7TVa8 The plan on the late 1880s map looks the same as that on the 1950s map, so probably the same building,

hi margery apart from other information above as you can now read high park house is still there...how lucky is that...it is number 175 albert road aston click on the link below to see todays street view..its the house with the white front and if you zoom in to the top right of the house you will see the name plaque high park house..so at least when you visit birmingham you can go and see it..also looking at the list on mikes post 7 henry guest was still in birmingham in 1912 as a printer at priory square which is in the city centre but that building will no longer be there..just a little tip...when you re visit this thread make sure you start reading from the last post you made that way you will not miss any of the info we have posted for you

note...i have saved the 1901 census showing henry and family in albert street and also the marriage certificate of henry and wife clara if you do not have them i will happily post them on here for you ?

lyn

Last edited:
Henry Guest appears to have died in 1910 so not sure about the entry for 1912 in Mike's post.
Henry buried at Witton and grave lists wife Clara and duaghter Winifred
Find a Grave
I would guess that after her husband's death Cara moved,, and either the house was empty, or the inhabitant had not registered their presence. In 1912 there are 6 "Mrs Guests" listed . One is at 23, Robert Road Handsworth, which is similar , though not the same as the address of Clara's death

I would guess that after her husband's death Cara moved,, and either the house was empty, or the inhabitant had not registered their presence. In 1912 there are 6 "Mrs Guests" listed . One is at 23, Robert Road Handsworth, which is similar , though not the same as the address of Clara's death

thanks mike post 10 shows clara on the 1911 widow at 1 wellington road

lyn

just one last thing for now...i notice that on the family gravestone at witton cemetery henry was an alderman for the aston area so would have been well respected

lyn

UNCEM_2201852_ac133f95-ee56-4dfe.jpg

Back