• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guarding factories producing munitions during WW2

Graye

proper brummie kid
During WW2 there were plenty of factories in Birmingham either producing the actual munitions or otherwise parts for munitions which were being assembled elsewhere. I'm wondering whether these places were protected or guarded in any way. Someone hs suggested Military Police to me but I'm wondering if it was more likely to be the Home Guard. Does anyone know please?

Each of the big factories would have had its own Home Guard unit. See in particular the various pages about Kynoch, a major munitions manufacturer at Witton, via the links below. These units were responsible for defending their factory against attack by German forces - paratroops or land-based. Smaller factories without their own HG units would all have fallen within the area of responsibility of one local HG unit or another. I'm not aware of any MP involvement in these civilian factories.

On a day-to-day basis, for more general security, I imagine that factories relied on more traditional methods such as their own works police. I can remember the Kynoch works police outside the gates at Witton, all fully armed. (Scared the death out of me as a young child!)

Chris

Last edited:
Dads Army were into everything and even though we sometimes laughed when they marched up the street carrying brooms, because they didn't have rifles in the early days, they were magnificent. I'm not sure if they guarded particular factories but the firewatchers did. I do remember going to bed after a raid and looked up to the ceiling and saw an unexploded bomb sticking through the plaster. Dad then found another in the kitchen. Corporal Jones, or his equivalent came rushing in shouting don't, don't panic but I was already out the door. So was dad. Regards, David.
During WW2 there were plenty of factories in Birmingham either producing the actual munitions or otherwise parts for munitions which were being assembled elsewhere. I'm wondering whether these places were protected or guarded in any way. Someone hs suggested Military Police to me but I'm wondering if it was more likely to be the Home Guard. Does anyone know please?

Thanks, Len, a remarkable record. The background to several of these awards was of course described in Michael Minton's "Heroes of the Birmingham Air Raids" (ISBN 1 85858 211 3).

Graye - have any of the comments in this thread helped you with your original question? Can you tell us anything more about your own interest in this subject?

Chris

Interesting topic , there must have been many engineering companies involved with the manufacture of various parts for the war but probably only a few who actually did the final assembly and adding the explosives and detonators, as mentioned it would have been a chemical company who supplied the stuff that went "BOOM"
I think we do tend to forget what went on back at home during those dark days, and the likes of the home guard and those that dealt with the fires certainly dont always get the praise they rightly deserve. I wish I had asked by parents a few more questions about the war time but unfortunately its now to late.
It amazes me how people coped with the constant worry and pressure of just trying to survive with everyday living, what with rationing, concern for those members of the family in the armed forces and never quite knowing if your home would still be there the next day and even if they were going to survive to see that next day.

Back