• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

gt russell street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi julia..as promised here are a few pics.... hope one or two will bring back some memories for you

astoness

Thanks for the pictures - I lived at 178 it was a house with a front door onto the street and a door which opened into (what I remember being called an Entry) the houses were in rows back to back the house on the back had the garden there was a yard where there was a wash house where the women did the laundry and right at the top a row of toilets.There was one room and a kitchenette (just had a sink) the steps leading to the cellar were at the side of the sink (such a small room) two bedrooms the house was on three stories and Dad put iron bars at the top room window as that is where the children slept. I remember the bomb sites we played on.
Funny when you think back and the realisation that the bomb sites were the result of war!
Julia

Back