• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

gt hampton row

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
cant believe my luck in finding this cracking pic of gt hampton row..also showing the entrance to st georges place and at the very far right you can just see a bit of a tree which would be in st georges church yard...

lyn

I like this photo Lyn. I don't know the road but it's got lots of interest. The advertising on the side of the building includes a nice cross section of advertising: 'go to work on an egg', Playtex girdles, Park Drive and Beer (M&B or Ansells?). So many roads like this had the greengrocers with produce stacked up on orange boxes (remember people using them for furniture. Nowadays fruit boxes sell for anything between £5- £10 each down here!). I like 'Violets' hair salon. I'll bet a lot of tittle tattle was passed on from customer to customer in there. Looks like there's a hardware shop next to Violets salon. Loved those shops, sold everything. I expect this road was soon to be demolished, quite a few properties are boarded up further along the row. Viv.

viv i love this one too..its my neck o the woods...there are now a couple of blocks of flats where the shops were and where you can see st georges place would be where the entrance is now to st georges park..well roughly that is..

lyn.

Most of those shops (if not all) were originally houses converted into shops, the front room was the 'shop'. My late Wifes Aunt Ann had just such a shop in Vicararage Rd, Aston opposite the school (were the pupils would spend their pennies on sweets and pop), I remember when we visited in the 50's and early 60's her living room would be full of stock, ditto back bedroom, sacks of pruduce in the kitchen (she stocked everything) big jars of sweets on the sideboard, I coudn,t put up with that. Eric

hi eric...our dads mom had such a shop in wells st hockley and i would think all their spare space was also taken up with stock....although it would have been a bit cramped i think they were very inventive in those days turning the front rooms into these little shops....

lyn

My gt granma had a grocery shop. Same sort if thing, converted front room. She ran a very diversified business, also had a coal yard round the back. You've got to admire their enterprising spirit. Viv.

a cracking pic of the albion works at gt hampton row...to get your bearings its marked in yellow on the map...

lyn

Lyn
If i could make an addition. the map you show shows the Albion foundry in 1889 (34-35 gt hampton st). by the time the photograph was taken it had expanded and taken in the works north of it to make it 34-37 (named 37 on the outside of the building for simplicity). It then occupied the area in yellow on the c1937 map below. this is evidenced in that on the photograph there is a cutting in (if that is the correct description) of the curb by the gateway . On the 1889 map this is evident on the works at 36-37. but not at the entrance of the (then) albion works.

Mike

map_c_1937_albion_foundry_34-37_gt_hampton_row.jpg

map_c_1889_nos34-35_Gt_Hampton_RowA.jpg

thanks for that info mike so as it expanded it got closer to the minerva vaults pub on the corner..

thats most helpful...

thanks again mike...

lyn

Back