• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Griffiths, Frederick

theodore

master brummie
Frederick Griffiths born 4th August 1884 Great Malvern, Worcestershire. I can't find any census (or birth, marriage ) record(s) for Frederick. Have an address (1918) Rose Cottage, Malvern Link, Worcestershire. The birth and address info are from PoW record for Frederick (taken prisoner April 1918 Neuve Eglis). Any help would be most welcome.

Peter

Possibly Alfred Griffiths.

On 1939 register there are 2 Alfred Griffiths listed with dob of 4 Aug 1918, one in Birkenhead and the other in Coulsdon, Surrey. The wife of the one in Coulsdon is a Margaret.

On the 1921 census there is a Frederick Griffiths b1884 Malvern Link listed with wife (Mary) and son. On both his marriage registrations - Mary Hemming 1915 & Ann Marie Margaret Gunster 1926 - he is listed as Alfred. Ann was from London.

This Alfred was the son of Thomas Griffiths and Rhoda Hiams, birth reg. Sep qtr 1884 Martley. Birthplace listed as Leigh in 1891 but Malvern Link on all subsequent censuses.

Thank you MWS,

Will look more into the info you have given and see if I can confirm that Frederick and Alfred are the same person. A link between the address of Rose Cottage, Malvern Link and Alfred (Frederick) would be a good start.

Peter

On the 1921 census they appear to be living on Spring Lane, Malvern and 1911 his address (with parents) is cottage, Halsall Road. Unfortunately, available maps do not list any house names.

He married in 1915 & 1926, his son was born in 1919 and his first wife died in 1923 but again, unfortunately, none of those records appear to be online to compare addresses and the newspaper coverage is not great either.

Yes Grove Cottages, Howsell Road, Malvern Link.
Checked out the info (census, marriages etc) and this could be Frederick (Alfred) but why the change of name regards his military service?

Peter

I don't think it was uncommon for people called Alfred to be known as Fred and someone, not knowing him, hearing Fred may then wrongly assume that Fred was short for Frederick but you'd expect army records to be accurate.

And on the 1921 census, which he should have filled in himself, he is listed as Frederick rather than Alfred.

Last edited:
I am now starting to think that Alfred and Frederick are the same person. If George is aged 2 on the 1921 census then it's starting to fit together and looking more promising. Pity his service papers did not survive but with not being able to find any birth, marriage or census records that fit for A Frederick (Griffiths) then your findings look like the key to opening up an answer to my original posting.

Thank you MWS
Peter

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The second wife of Alfred was Annie Marie Margareth Gunster whose family lived in Redland Road Malvern link, her father was Prussian, to link her to the Surrey Alfred Griffiths in 1939, she died in Surrey 1981 . Annie maria Margaret Griffiths b 24th july 1893.

Back