• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Green Lane (now Green Road) Hall Green

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The origins of the name Green Lane, according to BillDargue come from

“Green lanes were rural unmetalled parish road wide enough to have a strip of grass along each side primarily used for moving livestock”

In the images of the Lane below, it easy to see this origin. Probably not possible to see this today. Viv.

35947CBC-06ED-48F4-AC24-89D148C91501.jpeg30809F25-5215-4F4D-A452-0FCAEB49F81E.jpegEC8E17DF-34DA-4A8B-AEE9-BBE49B0F7082.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a 'Then & Now' of the third pic and some other information.
In Green Road Hall Green long ago a photo was taken of this cottage which looks old.
index.php

The cottage today.
index.php

Thanks OM, glad the cottage is still there. I’ve extracted out the Grade II Listed building information on the cottage from that link

II
Early C19 cottage ornee in appearance but perhaps older in origin.

Pebbledashed; tile roof. One storey plus attic; three bays, that on the left set back a little and at a slight angle to the rest of the facade. Simple panelled door beneath a bargeboarded and tiled porch. Windows of two or three lights, all with leaded glazing and some beneath tiled canopies and with bargeboards. Bargeboards, too, at eaves level. In the roof, three tiled and gabled dormer windows, all also with leaded glazing and bargeboards.

Inside; the Minton tiles in the hall and late C19 stained glass windows.

Viv

This is the site today. I think there are now lights as well to try to stop people trying to go through the ford when there has been heavy rain. Most times it floods at least one car gets stuck as it can get quite deep. See pictures here on Birmingham Mail site (from Sept 2019) Green Road Ford
1611571254612.png

Yes, that photograph in post #5 is certainly pre-1940 and probably a lot older than that. In my 1940s childhood that was my favourite place to paddle with a thick bed of soft green waterweed under your feet. In those days the bridge was a fairly new wood construction, whereas when I last visited about 8 or 9 years ago, a newish bridge had beed erected on a steel framework which also seemed much longer. And, of course, all the waterweed had long since gone. It was also called Green Lane in my day. Why they had to change the name goodness knows.

Maurice :cool:

Certainly the Wake Green Road end is still very "lane like" although the section from the ford to Stratford Road is more like a road. If you see what I mean.

Last edited:
Back