• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great War tent?

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
An imminent house move has reminded me that I am the owner of a canvas tent. The bag it is in bears the stencilled inscription: "AOC 045377"

This object was used for camping holidays in the 1920s and 30s by a Walsall family. I am wondering if it could be ex-army. Could AOC mean the forerunner of the RAOC and could the number possibly be that of a soldier? Should much appreciate any opinions.

I suppose it is about to become landfill. But I wish I could find a better fate for it.

Chris

Chris

A quick search on Medal Index using 045377 brings 2 records
Edwin Sheldon - Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment, Army Ordinance Corps
Notts & Derby R - Cpl - 73448
AOC - 045377

William Wood - Army Service Corps - T4/045377
ASC - Dvr

Suzanne

Chris
Edwin Sheldon's pension records are on ancestry and he may have been a Walsall man:) or at least lived there.

Suzanne

Just confirmed from records born Walsall.
On enlistment his trade was a leather worker. His employer was his father Frank Sheldon. 1911 tells us Frank was a fancy leather goods manufacturer. The family lived at 24 Belvidere Road Walsall in 1911.

Suzanne

Well, that's fascinating, Suzanne! Thank you very much for the information. I can narrow it down.

In fact, I knew Edwin Sheldon (1897-1986) well. He was my father-in-law and the family leather business was Sheldon & Sons, Corporation Street, Walsall. (I have just offered some of his old leather-working tools to the Walsall Leather Museum). I knew he was in the Notts and Derbys - in fact he was at Paschendaele with them where he was wounded in 1917 - and he left behind a remarkable account of an abortive patrol into no-man's-land whose aim was to take a German prisoner. He narrowly escaped with his life from that one. But I never knew that he had an AOC connection nor, even less, that I have been looking after his tent for the last 25 years!

When time allows I might develop this thread a little in his memory. I have a number of photographs of him in uniform as well as the historical fragment I mentioned above. Not quite Brum, but near enough! And an appropriate subject, for this time in November.

Thanks so much again.

Chris

Last edited:
That's great news Chris especially as you are related. Look forward to you posting pics and developing the thread.

Regards
Suzanne

Back