• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Hampton Street, Hockley

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys ;
can some body tell me where about is grt hamptom st hockley is and is it still there today please as
i am researching my mothers growingup days and my grand parents addrees in the 1930s
many thanks astonian

Hello Alan Down Snow Hill along Constitution Hill next one is Gt Hampton St do you remember Cannings they were on the corner. Dek

HI DEK ;
How are you keeping fine i hope i was nice to hear from you its been a little while since we last spoke;
yes i remember cannings from years ago along the constitution hill we used to fetch our chemicals from there for dyno rod when i worked there
at palmerston rd spark hill; i presme its all gone and changed since then any buildig still standing do you know
dek; may thanks for coming back so soon and letting me know where to find it i will ventue that way this week end
bes wishes dk and have your self a nice easter wek end best wishes astonian

Hello Astonian,we lived in Kenyon St from 1958 to 1963 my dad worked at Cannings on the corner of Gt.Hampton St. i can rememember standing outside the Gothic pub on a Saturday lunchtime waiting for him to have a drink then we would jump on the 69 bus to Lozells then walk to Villa Park Via 1 or 2 other licensed premises.A lot of my Mom's family lived at the top of Gt Hampton St names were Rooker & Hill.WE were moved out of our house in 1963 as part of slum clearance to Pool Farm rd Acocks Green,it was a whole different world with trees ,grass, and a park at the back of our garden.Jim

HI JAMES
mANY THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT ON GRT HAMPTOM ST MY MOTHER GREW UP THERE IN THE STREET AND THE PARENTSRAN THE COFFEE SHOP IN GRT HAMPTOM ST
WHEN SHE WAS YOUNG SHE USED TO TELL ME AT THE WAR YEARS AND HER GRAND FATHER USED TO SELL TEA AND SANDWICHES OUT SIDE LUCAS,S DURING THE WAR YEARS
I CAN RECALL AFEW TREES AROUND THE AREA IT WAS NICE AS YOU SAID YEARS AGO AND HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED AROUND THERE
I USED TO KNOW THE AREA VERY WELL ; I CAN RECALL THE HILLS FROM SCHOOL AND ALSO FROM THE ACOCKS GREEN AREA ESPECIALY I USED TO SERVE THEM AT THE RED LION PUB LATER IN LIFE AT THE PUB AS A CUSTOMER AS I USED TO RUN IT MANY YEARS AGO
I WENT DOWN THERE TWO WEEKS AGO WITH MY SON AND BELEIVE ME I JUST CANNOT BELEIVE MY EYES OF THE STATE OF COSTITUTION HILLAND I PARKED IN KEYON STREET
I NEARLY DIED OF HEART FAILURE TO SEE THE APPALLING STATE THAT ARE WAS IN HOW CAN BRUM LET IT BE LIKE THAT YOU HAVE THOUGHT A BOMB AT DONE IT
I WOULD NOT BE SURPRIZED ITS OVER RUN WITH RATS FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER THEY WAS FALLING DOWN ROOFS WAS SHOWING SKY LINES
TO BE QUITE HONEST I JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN IT STILL THATS THE WAY AND SOCIETY IS CHANGING AINT IT
BY THE WAY IT WAS NICE TO KNOW YOU ARE A MEMBER OF THE LIONS ; [ ASTON VILLA [ LIKE MYSELF A TRUE ASTONIAN AND A VILLA SUPPORTER
THANKS AGAIN JAMES FOR YOUR FEED BACK HAVE YOUR SELF A NICE DAY ; BEST WISHES ASTONIAN

Hello Astonian,we lived in Kenyon St from 1958 to 1963 my dad worked at Cannings on the corner of Gt.Hampton St. i can rememember standing outside the Gothic pub on a Saturday lunchtime waiting for him to have a drink then we would jump on the 69 bus to Lozells then walk to Villa Park Via 1 or 2 other licensed premises.A lot of my Mom's family lived at the top of Gt Hampton St names were Rooker & Hill.WE were moved out of our house in 1963 as part of slum clearance to Pool Farm rd Acocks Green,it was a whole different world with trees ,grass, and a park at the back of our garden.Jim

hi james i used to enjoy going in the gothic but sadly and no surprise to most of us its not been a pub for some years now...last time i went past the building was painted pink....thanks for your memories i bet they were happy days for you

lyn

Hello Astonian, Your say your parents ran the coffee shop in Great Hampton Street. Was that Bill's Cafe that was situated opposite Canning's Shop? That cafe served many hungry stomachs in the '50's from Cannings and the surrounding firms. regards. willey.

hi willy
yes it was my grand parents family bill was my grand fathers brother then he sold it to my grand father and my mother lived there as a child
this shop was from grt grand father and passed down the line all the jelfs brothers ran there coffee shops and they sold every one to each other all except the sister whom was
a secretary ; and ernie and charles was the main bussiness men in the family and it was ernie whom held on to them when they all slowly passed away
there parents was at tyburn rd erdinton a place they called ivydene ; it was a caffee shop and provisions and one of charlse booking office the other one of his bookng offices was was alma street coffee house bill only had the one coffee shop mom said for some reason ; and it was there father s father which makes him my mothers great grand father in the 1800s had the coffee shop in wheeler st aston down by the lucas;s factory after making his money selling sandwiches and tea to the night workers during the war years
but yes it was bills when he sold it to ernie he never had another one he tried his hand at the rocky lane aston after taking over from arther when he died but he sold that to ernie as well but at the end of there reign of the brothers it was ivy whom had most of the wills off her brothers at 9o1 tyburn rd left to her but sadly got older and the shop went into decline
ivy never ran a coffee shop until charles henry died and it was the bank and charles decided that ivy should have the shop and this upset ernie
because of a certain gentlman decided to move in and help her out so to speak i cannot say more than that the ironc thing about the jelfs brother even thou all there lives they always lived about a mila away from each other having all shops they never spoke to each other after therefather died and most certainly when there mother died
sadly ivy eventualy died he thou there was a feud between ernie and ivy saying he would never cross the fresh hold at the tyburn rd ivy still atended ernies funeral along with dorthony
thanksfor asking about bill i have only met bill about three times in my life they was all little people with fair hair my mother was a little lady as well when she died
best wishes astonian

When I left Icknield St School in 1957 my first job was at Lench's toolmakers in Gt Hampton St just a few hundred yards up from Key Hill,I was supposed to sign apprentice indentures to become a toolmaker, but I was bored stiff by the job and chucked it to go work at Scribbans bakery, as a van boy, I learned more there than I ever learned at school, most of it probably stuff that you would not want your son to learn,but oh boy did I enjoy it ......... Smile.
Went back there recently,Lenches is now an Asian warehouse or something similar maybe carpets, remember the motto? Birmingham workshop of the world or something, now should be renamed, any suggestions?

Frank

Back