• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Great Colmore Street Edgbaston

W

Wendy

Great Colmore Street, Edgbaston, 1951. Great picture of the entry leading to the back of the houses.

Great_Colmore_Street2C_Edgbaston2C_1951_.jpg

Nice photo Wendy. I like the house with the little garden. A fence, a shaped hedge and wall trellises. I can imagine flowers being
there as well. Thanks for posting.

Yes nice photo. It shows how these homes might once have been with their clean curtains and windows and tended gardens. In the 18th and early 19th century, Birmingham was reknowned for its many gardens, even a small plot like the one in the photo was obviously cared for. You can also catch a glimpse through the passageway of another pivet hedge. Must have improved and brightened many dark stained buildings when they were ornamented with gardens around them. Even in the not very distant past, I remember most gardens had privet hedges, closely trimmed with a couple of privet 'towers' alongside the front gate. Think we were trying to emulate grand houses with their topiary gardens but on a miniature scale. I suppose it was also about pride. And the start of the home improvement craze! Viv.

Wendy here's a Phyllis Nicklin 1953 colour photo of Great Colmore Street. Think it might be a similar view but from a side angle. Just look at all that ivy! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360779704.943674.jpg

Oh my goodness Viv look at the ivy! Now it is discouraged because of the damage it causes. It plays havoc in graveyards and cemeteries. It is nice to see the privet hedges though it gives colour. Thanks for the comparison.

Yes I wondered about that too Robert, but it appears to have some sort of structure behind all that meat. Can't quite make it out.

There seems to be foliage attached above the meat - maybe it was a Christmas display. And there a lot of whole/half carcasses. Viv.

Back