• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grave look up please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks wonder if anyone could see if they can find a photo of the gravestone of john matthews b 1884 birm who died in france..wife gertrude..as far as i can see his army records are not available so i dont even know what year he died..
many thanks for any help

lyn

A lot of WW1 records were destroyed due to enemy action in 1942, Lyn including my Grandad I knew his Regt, and was able to get info from them, all old regt's have a society or historic museum even if disbanded would be represented by someone where it may be possible, "British War Graves Commission", if you have his regt and service number would be able to trace his grave.paul

Can't find anything yet re:death, do you think this may be them in 1911

John Matthews b 1885 Birmingham Brass Polisher
Gertrude Matthews b 1885 Birmingham Spoon & Fork Polisher
24 Court 2 House Tower Street.

Colin

yes col thats them on the 1911 and all i know is that john matthews lost his life in ww1

thanks paul i knew that a lot of ww1 records were destroyed during ww2 but i have no regiment or service no so i reckon this will be a toughie...:fatigue:

lyn

According to CWGC there are over 180 J Matthews who died in WW1- some have no family info and unless it lists his wife as next of kin this could be impossible. I will try a different tack later today unless anyone else finds him first.

Janice

According to CWGC there are over 180 J Matthews who died in WW1- some have no family info and unless it lists his wife as next of kin this could be impossible. I will try a different tack later today unless anyone else finds him first.

Janice

oh thanks janice really appreciate it...i am not very good at this sort of research i just stumble on sites but on ancestry i found a john matthews born nechells who died but that is not him as my john matthews was born in tower st newtown..theres another one b birm in the oxford and bucks light infantry and i found a john matthews on the birmingham roll of honour who was in the royal warks but no other info..

my john married gertrude in oct 1905 and gave his age as 20...

thanks again janice..

lyn

Last edited:
I have found one in the Royal Warwicks but he was 39 when he died and it lists his wife as Mary (8 Alma Place, Vere Street) so I don't think it is the right one. At least we are ruling some out.

Janice

Struggling at the moment to get anywhere. There seem to be so many J or John Matthews especially with no next of kin listed. I haven't given up but am stopping for now.
Janice

Pte John Matthews born Nechells No.11527 Coldstream Guards KIA 4 Nov 1918
Pte John Matthews born Birmingham No. 203817 2/4th Ox & Bucks KIA 22 Aug 1917
Pte John Matthew enlisted Birmingham No.20999 10th Royal Warwickshire Died 22 Jan 1917

thanks terry..its not the one in the royal warks as he was 39 when he died and to old to be my john matthews..

i dont think its the one born nechells as my one was born in the parish of st nicholas newtown...which only leaves the other one who was in the oxford and bucks..only trouble is i have no way of proving it yet...

thanks terry

Back