• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gospel Lane

Jalewis

Hi,
My grandparents owned a haberdashery shop on Gospel Lane during the war. It was called Wendy's.
Just trying to find out any information I can.
I think the shop was sold in the early 1950s when they emigrated to Australia.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Fuz
Hi,
My grandparents owned a haberdashery shop on Gospel Lane during the war. It was called Wendy's.
Hi Jalewis, when did your parents move from Gospel lane?
Street view today. 350 is the shop with the blue van outside
The two shops on the right hand side belong to my brother and sister . My dad owned the mobile shop as a grocery store from around 1977 for about 30years and later brought property next door. My family still live above both properties.

Hi,
Hi,
Hi Jalewis,
Donyou know what year they moved? My family lived at 354 from 1977 till present.My parents owned the grocery store called Choudharys. There was a haberdashery shop next door which was owned by a couple called Toni and Jim Clarke, its possible this was your parents shop previously. Im pretty sure we have a picture of their shop on the inside somewhere when my sister had her ears pierced. The entrance to their house was through the shop behind the counter. Thw door number would have been 356 Gospel lane, on the strretview picture it is the one that is Harveys fish bar, the other two shops pictured still belong to my family. 350 was a videorama when we lived there.

Hi Jalewis,
Donyou know what year they moved? My family lived at 354 from 1977 till present.My parents owned the grocery store called Choudharys. There was a haberdashery shop next door which was owned by a couple called Toni and Jim Clarke, its possible this was your parents shop previously. Im pretty sure we have a picture of their shop on the inside somewhere when my sister had her ears pierced. The entrance to their house was through the shop behind the counter. Thw door number would have been 356 Gospel lane, on the strretview picture it is the one that is Harveys fish bar, the other two shops pictured still belong to my family. 350 was a videorama when we lived there.The haverdashery shop was called ‘ Shirleys’.

Hi,
Hi Jalewis,
I spoke to my brother this morning who now owns my dads shop at 354 Gospel lane, he said that my dads ahop was previously a childrens clothes shop owned by a Jewish man, so It must have been your grandparents shop as I just checked and Zeitlin is a Jewish name. My dad bought the shop around 1977 which is the year I was born. Any information you would like feel free to ask, can send pictures- earliest I have is probably from the 1980’s.

In 1970’s working back from the Chemist it was a hairdressers, Jacks (Newsagent which became LALS), laudrama, John the Butchers, John (Orange Grove), haberdashery shop, Jones (sweet shop), Choudray Grocery (but we called him John), shop next was empty but became Videorama, hardware store, was empty but became a supermarket with lots of chest freezers, VG (air raid shelter in the rear) and lastly the white building was also a butchers/fish mongers.

In 1970’s working back from the Chemist it was a hairdressers, Jacks (Newsagent which became LALS), laudrama, John the Butchers, John (Orange Grove), haberdashery shop, Jones (sweet shop), Choudray Grocery (but we called him John), shop next was empty but became Videorama, hardware store, was empty but became a supermarket with lots of chest freezers, VG (air raid shelter in the rear) and lastly the white building was also a butchers/fish mongers.
Yes my dad is ‘John’ lol, my brother owns the shop now, its a phone repair shop.

Back