• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gopsills Hauliers

FOXY

master brummie
I have been told that one of my relatives worked for Gospels Hauliers,I hope thats the correct spelling he was living in the Haymills/Yardley area, he carried out his work on a horse and cart,has anyone heard of Gospels,or where they were located.

Hi Foxy. I thinkyou mean Gopsills. They had a fleet of lorries with blue livery and gold lettering and operated from a yard in, I think, Sheaf Lane, Sheldon, in the 1950's. I know because my Dad was a haulier in Yardley and Gopsills lent him a lorry for a day when his van was off the road and refused any payment for it. I think one of the Gopsill family along with my Dad was a member of the Road Haulage Association, (RHA), local committee which recommended the A, B and C licences then needed to operate motor vehicles. Maurice Alleley of Alleleys Transport at Studley might know more as he was operating at that time.

Sorry, I have no knowledge. I know that a lot of hauliers sprang up after WW2 when returning soldiers used their driver training gained in the Army to start their own businesses, hence the need to regulate through the issue of licences. I have the impression Gopsills were mainly involved in sand and gravel haulage. A trawl through Kellys directorys for Birmingham may be fruitful. Good luck with your search!

Hi Foxy

Just after the war Gopsill Brothers Ltd were located in Arthur St, just off Redhill Rd Hay Mills.

Phil.

That would be near where he lived, I don't know the time he worked for them I was just told it was a horse and cart.

Back