• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Google Maps

D

Darthdc

Anyone know how to contact these idiots. Their map of Birmingham still shows Oxygen St as still there (though the aerial photo shows the truth that it is now Faraday Wharf carpark.). In case you wanna know, the area is now Aston Science Park. Oxygen St was between Love Lane and Lister St.

Darth dc,

I think it a little unfair to refer to Google as 'idiots' simply becaus they are late changing a map. They cover the entire world and the information they dispense for free is astounding.

Old Boy

Good point OB - not only that I know of loads of paper maps showing out of date information.

Check this out Darthdc

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose at times we moan about the 'freebies' we use and big Google recently decided to 'upgrade' Maps. I wasn't happy with the upgrade, the 'new' little streetview man swings around and never looks the way I wanted him to when he lands on a street, so I've been clicking the 'return to classic map' button and continued on my way. But the old 'return to classic button' has now disappeared and following that choice leads to 'Maps Lite' but 'Maps Full' is best. The 'Directions' list is not as good as the old classic list but is passable !

The iPad version now talks to me and has become a sat nav, but without a sim card only gets me to the end of my road, and trying to drag off Google's suggested route is almost impossible. I suppose it works nicely with smartphones.

The old 'classic' version still seems available in America on this link https://www.google.com/lochp but starts off in the middle of the states so it has to be told we live in the UK, and no doubt that version will eventually be replaced.

If Google is reading this post I am very grateful for all the freebies you give me ....
encouragement.png

thanks phil...i shall also be using the return to classic maps i did not notice it...

lyn

Ah silly me I had not realised it had been updated and wondered why it did not behave as I expected.

Aside from Google Maps, so many of these so-called updates do not give us half the facilities we used to have. Another is London Gazette - the new search engine is appalling. You can no longer search within a set of dates, no can you exclude the Edinburgh & Belfast Gazettes, which I rarely have need of. I don't think that you have ever been able to load the old search engine, but if anyone knows to the contrary, I would be delighted to buy you a pint or two!

Maurice

Just been using the classic map. It's not as good as it was, shaky and juddery.
They've done it on purpose to make you use the new upgraded version ....
friendly_wink.png

I'm just about to use BT Sport to watch Leicester v Newcastle and BT have upgraded their app !!

ps Leicester have scored after 47 seconds !

Well Google are advising that the USA version is soon changing so I'm finding the upgrade with 'Full Maps' version is ok but I don't know why they have made the streetview man swing around as he is dragged to a street. There now a 'Share' facility which means a streetview pic link can be more easily shown on the forum without copying and uploading the pic.

I was driving in a narrow street in Brixham, Devon, this morning and I encountered the Google car with camera. He, being a stranger I guess, was unable to reverse back, so I did.

The probable reason for change in the United States is due to the complaints about intrusion of privacy that I believe have been made.

Back