• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Google Earth

Rupert

master brummie
GE. has updated the photos of the Birmingham area and unfortunately the shots were taken at the end of a sunny day. This results in shaddows from all of the buildings that obscure much of the terain. Hopefully this will be remedied; whilst the photos are more up to date, this product has become less usable because of this. Also some of the pictures included in this forum, like the overhead of The Swan Inn Washwood Heath are not there any more. Just space where it was. So that picture is history now..the building is gone. I e.mailed them and reported the shaddowing problem. If any of you use this facility and are now dissappointed with it let them know. Maybe they will take note.

Rupert, Thanks for the Update on Google Earth

Have had a peek as you kindly suggested, Oh !! 8) Glaring error eh!
Very dissappointed with GE, hope they sort it out,

Just of to E-m Them,, :( suggest a few more readers do so to
Oky Dokey John Y

Rupert I was told the images you see in Google Earth are years old anyway. Is this correct? If it is, there's not much point to it anyway, is there?

The new ones seem reasonably up to date. The Bullring seems finished. The previous ones were about 2003 I think. Yes it is a fantastic resource even if a few years out of date in my opinion. I personally use it a lot in combination with the old 1890 survey maps. You can pretty well locate within a few yards where old features were. The shaddows on the latest shots ruin it though. The basic version is for everyone to use and costs nothing. I am not sure how fast it is without broadband. Personally I would much prefer to have the previous shots back than try to use the latest with 30% of the detail hidden by shaddow.

Last edited:
I have a link to a site that's very similar to GE. I'm at work at the moment but will look on my 'Favorites' when I get home and post the link.:redface:

Rupert I find Virtual Earth better than Google Earth.
If you use 2D with birds eye view you get different photo when you change viewing direction ,rather than the image just rotating around its axis,as with GE. This can cause things like cars etc. appearing on one shot and disappearing when viewed from another direction,but the pictures appear better quality.

Colin

I can't download Google Earth, but have been able to download Virtual Earth. I looked at Aston park yesterday after reading of the newest GE offerings, you can't see Aston Hall because of shadows. I haven't looked at much else but there are a lot of shadows around that area. It can't be possible that Micorosoft have cribbed Google - can it.???

Di,Virtual Earth defaults to 3D view if you click on 2D view and then birds eye view as I suggested above ,you will get the images shown below.In the view from the south ,photo 1,the left hand side appears in shadow,when you view from that side a different image is used used and no shadow appears,I'm sure you will find the images are better than on GE.

Colin

When I looked at Aston Hall I got a really shadowy picture, but today I have been back and, as you say Colin, Birds Eye view is very clear. :)

I can't always get BEV I think my puter is getting past it now.

Di.Poppit
I could not download Google Earth, it was my anti virus stopping it, my computer friend sorted it out.

How to use it

Hi, can anyone help please, i have just downloaded Google Earth, i have a few places to look up and started with my house so as i know how to use it, however i can find where my house is, but there are no buildings shown and it is blurred, am i doing something wrong or is there a way to zoom in and get a clear picture, any help i would be very grateful.

Thanks Buttercup

Buttercup, I am not an expert but sometimes it takes a short while to sharpen. If you do not have broad band this process may be longer.

Secondly not all areas are in high deffinition so try somewhere else like central Brum.

I use this facility a lot and find it is great but have not downloaded the latest version yet because I have a lot of pinpoints and am not sure if these will dissappear if I download. Anyway good luck

For those of the forum in UK.

If you go to a property site eg www.rightmove.co.uk
search for a house in your area and then go to the map attached to the advert,most of them have Birds eye view,it's brilliant.

I have my washing on the line and my sun umbrella up and my son is visiting because his car is on the drive.

On Google earth we are a bit of a blur.

Your right about the clarity of the map but its an older version than the present map on G.E. there is a tree in my front garden that was removed nearly 3 years ago, it dosent show on G.E.

Back