• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Google Earth Villa Park in 1945 and Now

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
Aerial shots of Villa Park then and now - Google's 1945 cameras not so good as now !
I've only ever seen One live football match at a ground, I think it was in 1947 after all the snow had melted.
I stood on the Witton End terrace and watched Villa play Grimsby Town !!
I seem to remember the score was 3-3. It seems hard to believe that Villa and Grimsby were once in the same division !!!

Someone flew over Villa Park in 1940's
Villa_Park_1945.jpg

Google flew over Villa Park recently
Villa_Park_now~0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Beamish - I'm amazed....I now know where and what I was doing on 12th April 1947. Just out of interest I was only 'little' way back then and the densely packed standing crowd passed me overhead to a better vantage point.
oldmohawk:)

Off topic a bit Beamish but his son Keith had the bandiest legs I have ever seen?. I have a friend on here who will second me on that only she had a crush on him. Jean.

I've restored 'then' and 'now' pics in post #1.
It's interesting what you learn from the forum - I found out exactly what I was doing and where I was on 12th April 1947 - after all the snow had all melted...:untroubled:

Sorry to do this but where is Gladstone Street. I'm lost. Regards, David.

David, Gladstone Street is not visible in the above pictures. According to Google Maps you would have to go down Witton Lane, (bottom right of the picture) onto Queens Road, then right onto Church Lane and left onto Gladstone

Phew !! That's a relief Eric :triumphant:..it was early and sometimes I don't know my lefts from my rights :05.18-flustered:

Back