• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Godfrey Etherton & Co. Ltd

Curly

master brummie
My late father had three of these as the supports for his workshop bench.

They weigh around 60kg each

Can anyone throw any light on what they are (were) or anything about the company?

Attachments

• IMG-20221109-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20221109-WA0003.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 16
Grace's don't say much except that Godfrey Etherton were Refridgerating Engineers, Birmingham Branch of British Automatic Refrigerators.

1941 BAR 80-82 Jamaica Row.
1964 BAR 634 Hagley Road West.

Grace's don't say much except that Godfrey Etherton were Refridgerating Engineers, Birmingham Branch of British Automatic Refrigerators.

1941 BAR 80-82 Jamaica Row.
1964 BAR 634 Hagley Road West.
As a refrigeration item, they must have supported something quite large, but would have thought the name came from a foundry. Oh well, one day.......

Kellys do not seem to list them at all.. The Jamaica Row address is listed as British Automatic Refrigerators (1936) Ltd.

Sorry Janice, did not see your post till I had posted

What would the holes along the edges be for ? Maybe that would give some clues. If something fitted into the shapes, the top shape is unusual, Viv.

Thanks for your input folks. I think 80 & 82 Jamaica Row must have been their showroom as they were only shop units. I would think, looking in Google images, that these castings were part of some industrial refrigeration plant. I guess Godfrey Etherton was part of BAR. .......Now, 255 Eachelhurst Rd is an Undertaker (est 2009) and before that we can't remember, possibly a butcher's shop. Ho-hum, not important, have other things to worry about : unamused:

My late father had three of these as the supports for his workshop bench.

They weigh around 60kg each

Can anyone throw any light on what they are (were) or anything about the company?
They look like structural frames to build up equipment on. The holes in the side and bottom would be to fix (bolt) to the floor with lag type bolts also facilitating the same with the frames rotated. Also to provide easy facilitation to attach other thing like exchangers. They look like cast iron or aluminum from a foundry. Given they were commercial type refrigeration people it might be a type of modular system.
if I had them I (depending upon size) would use them for frames to support a work bench!

They look like structural frames to build up equipment on. The holes in the side and bottom would be to fix (bolt) to the floor with lag type bolts also facilitating the same with the frames rotated. Also to provide easy facilitation to attach other thing like exchangers. They look like cast iron or aluminum from a foundry. Given they were commercial type refrigeration people it might be a type of modular system.
if I had them I (depending upon size) would use them for frames to support a work bench!

Back